Improved Cheese Grater

geeviam

16 minutes ago, dabear said:

A true speed freak would need a shut off grater plate . It would be possible to make a lexan cheese grater plate with all the holes needed for your livewell to perform and drain great when you are using your livewell . Than on that rare occasion when you wouldn’t be using the live well and wanted to try and get every possible MPH out of your fishing boat. You could place the plate in the closed position before putting the boat in the water. This lexan plate would be shorter than the lower plate so it could slide into position to open and close all the holes in the cheese grater. The upper plate would be able to slide forward to open water holes in that position all the holes would be a exact match , There would be four screws in a slot that could be loeesened to let the upper plate move back covering all holes in that closed position the plate would slide into the closed position in the slot than you could tighten the screws down . The plate would be able to slide forward with the screws in the slot than when in full open and full closed position the plate would move to the side that way when screws are tight in could not move .   Joe R 

Very good idea Joe!

To bad the sea chests are not uniform from boat to boat so they could be mass produced. I have had offers to make them with a CNC machine and a 3D printer from different people but I do not have exact measurements and I am no engineer. it looks like they would all take adjusting to fit each individual boats sea chest from what most are saying that have made them. However, they are working on the carbon fiber boat on the other thread and I am sure they have some scraps here and there. Come to think of it Skip owes me a favor for helping him out a while back. I am going leave room in my stocking for a custom carbon fiber grate from him.

• Like 1

Just want to say thanks for all the input, suggestions and ideas that members have shared on this thread, and all other threads on this forum, for that matter.  The ability to just sign-on to this forum and ask for help, or share some knowledge that might help others, is an awesome thing.  The help and advice I've received from everyone on this board is greatly appreciated!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lurem said:

To bad the sea chests are not uniform from boat to boat so they could be mass produced. I have had offers to make them with a CNC machine and a 3D printer from different people but I do not have exact measurements and I am no engineer. it looks like they would all take adjusting to fit each individual boats sea chest from what most are saying that have made them.

What Lurem said. To get a flush fit it is going to have to be a one off for every boat.  We took his that fit his boat nicely and tried putting it on mine and it was not even close to fitting. I am not saying it was miles off but when getting things flush a few .001 here and there is a lot.  I would guess you can copy the factory grate and get good results but it is not going to be dead on flush.

I did the redneck scan and CNC (caliper, saw, sander) and it saved a bunch or trips crawling back under the boat.

• Like 2

Cool stuff Mulligan!  If I hadn't installed my grater plate in such a rush to try it out, it could've been copied and stamped out in quantity, with CNC.  I'm assuming it would be a good fit on all 2xxx Redfisher 16s?  I don't think the hull mold has changed for at least 15 years - has it?  I installed my Lexan plate with plenty of 3M 4200.  I would most likely have to destroy it, to remove it now.  So, making copies of mine at this point is probably not an option.  Shoulda, woulda, coulda...  9_9

Been watching this thread and I'll be interested to see what you guys come up with for a final design.  Meanwhile, I've got a brand new SS factory cheese grater sitting in my garage which needs to be installed.  Ordered from MBG website (for a Pathfinder), I'm hoping it will fit a 21MA.  The screw heads rusted off the original grater, and the grater plate actually folded back on itself, either from water pressure while underway, or the lip catching on the trailer bunk when loading up.

Have any of you had the screw heads rust off the grater?  Going to go back with the same size SS screws, but is there anything to keep that from happening again?  Coat with Sharkhide, cover with 4200 or something?

SS Pickup New.JPG

5 minutes ago, all wet said:

Been watching this thread and I'll be interested to see what you guys come up with for a final design.  Meanwhile, I've got a brand new SS factory cheese grater sitting in my garage which needs to be installed.  Ordered from MBG website (for a Pathfinder), I'm hoping it will fit a 21MA.  The screw heads rusted off the original grater, and the grater plate actually folded back on itself, either from water pressure while underway, or the lip catching on the trailer bunk when loading up.

Have any of you had the screw heads rust off the grater?  Going to go back with the same size SS screws, but is there anything to keep that from happening again?  Coat with Sharkhide, cover with 4200 or something?

SS Pickup New.JPG

I wouldn't use anything other than 316 stainless fasteners. I order all my stainless online at boltdepot.com , one of the best online merchants I've dealt with.

• Like 2

Just a quick update.  I was able to test the live well water flow with just the four original 5/32" angled holes in the new Lexan cheese grater plate last Sunday.  I tested on plane and at rest.  The pressure was fine with or without the pump turned on, while on plane.  However, at rest, the water flow was less than ideal for a serious live bait fisherman.  As the bait well filled up using the taller standpipe, the water pressure dropped a bit more.  So I am going to drill two more 5/32" vertical holes and one 1/16" hole on the low side of the grater plate for drainage/pressure relief.  I think this will provide enough water to the pump, when the boat is at rest, and keep the pressure up.  I don't think there will be any significant change in performance after this mod.  I'll post an update once I run the boat again.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mulligan said:

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you and Lurem are having the same thing happening at rest and just about have it perfected for the setup.  I have yet to get out and try mine. 14'-18' seas yesterday around here! 

Mulligan 14 - 18 ft seas would make taking a picture hanging over the transom at WOT more interesting , this could be a U Tube moment to remember . Breaking news cheese grater report video up next warning ⚠️ They are not trained professionals.   Joe R 

• 2 weeks later...

I AM SOLD ON THIS UPGRADE!

The live well works great with the extra holes and kept our bait alive all day long. I noticed that my boat drives better and does not porpoise like it used to.
it does feel like the back end of my boat is a little looser when I get going fast but I does not bother me. I don't think I picked up any speed but I definitely love the ride! I don't have to mess with the engine trim and use the trim tabs all day every day to correct the constant bouncing! Yeah 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I ran it this week but no video.  If I get a chance I will be out this weekend to run it some more and hang my phone over the back for a video.

The grater worked good for me.  I may have picked up a little on the top but the prop I had on runs fairly flat and does not have the best bite on the topend.  Just like Dale, the back feels lighter so I'm hoping a prop swap might gain some MPH.  I did notice my cruise numbers were up some.

The livewell worked well for me, better than the ss grate.  My well always took time to prime sometimes having to get almost on plane and with the new grate it fired right up and started pumping.  It worked well at rest and while running.  I only had one well on, too lazy to open the others, but had plenty of water flow.  I have (4) 7/32" angled holes running down the outside,( 1) 7/32" on the rear inside, and (1)1/4" in the rear center.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1