No Feeshing But Boat Maintenance Over Thanksgiving - Lots To Do

Wanaflatsfish

So, why does it always seem that if you think it will only take a few hours, it ends up over a few days :)

Took 5 days off over the holidays and was able to get caught up on a bunch of stuff...garage clean up, family time, NO feeeesssshing, but, time to get some upgrades on da-bote.

Several things to get done....

change out the lower unit oil and spray clean and then coat the 1995 Yamadog 2 smoker......last trip she ran like a champ after I had just changed out the plugs and all the filters....oil looked good, engine clean....next.....

IMG_9630.thumb.jpg.b3c2f545b929bea7c2d4b6945505262d.jpg

needed to add a new Jack lift and was tired of the light weight ones....went to West Marine, picked up a 1500 lb one, big tire, gotta love it.....no more breaking my arms trying to lift the front of the trailer...

IMG_9628.thumb.jpg.30f7c92f47e296aef63e774f26c3b01c.jpg

Next, was having some potential low voltage issues with the Interstate marine cranking battery....it was two years old....so, I decided to roll the dice and went over to Home Cheap and picked up a Nautilis Series 24 wet cell battery that meets all my specs for the 115 reserve capacity and cranking amps....it's dual purpose, and as I use the powerpole's a lot during the day, I thought, what the heck, for $89 why not....it had good reviews, and since I have a commercial account, they have always been really good about replacement of anything going wrong....I go wet cell as that is what the Yamadog written battery recommendations state, as well, the pros at the boat center have told me on some of the older 2 smokers with stators, they can run into electrical issues when you use an AGM....so, do what I'm recommended, never had a problem with my other skinny mini and it's battery wet cell....let's see....

Also, cleaned up the battery tenders and life is good.....let's hope.....

IMG_9654a.thumb.jpg.d22fd86f23c53566afe5f80784a88a9f.jpg

Been meaning to fix my stern light....finally had a few minutes, or so I thought to pull the wire and fix it...well, as normal, screws stripped, wires could not be easily pulled, the list goes on, so, what I thought was going to be 30 minutes, ended up being about 1 hour......ugggggh....but, I did a temporary switch to the bus, next year, I will probably be re-wiring the skiff in the winter and will be doing a complete re-wire...so, for now, this was the simple solution.....

Ran it to the bus and a simple toggle on/off to the fuse panel...I rarely use the stern light or the running lights which are on a similar system, so, no big deal...functional, rigged safely with fuses, etc.

The big gaping hole in the pic is where the 1995 lowrance puck was located....when I do the refurb next year, will be sea-decking a few things and cleaning up all the dings, etc...

IMG_9649.thumb.jpg.26269d7cfdce03713f94c44971092488.jpg

IMG_9650.thumb.jpg.133aa715082e346c3df2ecd5deb30eab.jpg

TEMPORARY TOGGLE SWITCH........

IMG_9652.thumb.jpg.f0673dcc6b9591e1c9c611cfa9a14606.jpg

YEP....IT WORKS :)

IMG_9653.thumb.jpg.c1826c4bf25f1ce6b737982fbaac7e74.jpg

NEXT TO ADD SOME HATCH STAYS.....DECIDED TO MAKE MY OWN....EASY PEASY...NOT SURE I'M 100% HAPPY...BUT, NEXT GO, I'LL DO THEM A BIT BETTER....

ALL THE GOODIES TO MAKE THEM....SOME STAINLESS WIRE AND A SMALL COVER HOSE FROM WM....

IMG_9638.thumb.jpg.a908242f7a789a3a7a262d26b99714b1.jpg

OF COURSE.....YOU NEED LOTS OF CRIMPS, TUBING, SCREWS, ETC ETC....A BUNCH OF STUFF I FINALLY ORGANIZED, ACCUMULATED OVER 15 YEARS OF BOATING :)

and......you can never have enough Yeti cups and my daughter's John Hopkins reminder :)

IMG_9640.thumb.jpg.412f6827ed08326f45176fa8a9c81739.jpg

IMG_9641.thumb.jpg.1442f6bf4d399b0e38bad5e8ec9dbd85.jpg

MADE THE ENDS.....THEN WENT TO THE SKIFF AND LET CAPT DEWALT AND HIS FRIENDS DO DA-DRILLING THANG :)

IMG_9642.thumb.jpg.79480d791c2939e1915b2a2b2cfc0245.jpg

IMG_9643.thumb.jpg.7f636e41bb7864f10a314d5da257bab4.jpg

IMG_9644.thumb.jpg.c9a1186270b195d016c7007c540a7232.jpg

THE SCREW HEAD COUNTER SUNK A BIT SO IT'S CONNECT UNDER....I PUT THEM BOTH ON THE INSIDE SINCE IN NORMALLY LOAD THE BOAT FROM THE OUTSIDE OF THE GUNNELS AND DIDN'T WANT TO HAVE THEM BE IN THE WAY.  I WILL BE ADDING SOME SILICONE/4200 WHEN I HAVE A FEW MINUTES TO SEAL ALL THE SCREW HOLES A BIT MORE....

IMG_9645.thumb.jpg.30fed16f0243f427bdb89939e255f3ce.jpg

DID THE SAME THING TO THE STERN HATCH WHERE I NORMALLY PUT THE FISH SOFT SIDED COOLER....

IMG_9647.thumb.jpg.a772677cb310579b467340a7702ee4cf.jpg

TOP VIEW...RECESSED SCREW HEAD WITH A FINISHING WASHER.....

IMG_9648.thumb.jpg.2f5439d97461864914822125b1320c5c.jpg

ALSO ADDED A SPRING FOR THE UNDERSEAT HATCH....TIRED OF BANGING MY HANDS :(

IMG_9657.thumb.jpg.520f6a1860d1cadb55eefe64e6275699.jpg

THE LARGE HOLES FILLED WITH GAS CAPS IS WHERE THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD A SPECIAL BACKREST...

AND OF COURSE....GOTTA HAVE A MATCHING BUCKET AND COOLER....EVEN IF THEY ARE FROM DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS.....

Ok, now before you all start throwing stone....(LOL)....I got to tell you, the Yetti bucket is really worth the money, at least to me...I was tired of the stupid orange home depot and other buckets flopping around the deck (i use a lot of shrimp and popping corks) the Yeti has a leaded base with a rubber cover...1/3 filled with water and stable, i can run with it and doesn't move....as well, it's easy on the hands....yep, it's not cheap....$39, but, what the heck, it's only money :) ...plus, look what I saved by going with the Engle Cooler....$149 vs Yetti $250 for a similar size....the 25 Qt Engle, holds enough water for a full day on the water and I keep our lunches in a yes.....Yeti Hopper under the seat with a few gel packs and lunch stays cold all day......the large Yetti gel pack..yep, $$$, but, the stuff works...all day and lunch and veggies stay cold.....

IMG_9661.thumb.jpg.157b8840261097bfeecf5491052801fc.jpg

I also use it to travel for my special diet (lost over 55 lbs so far by carrying my own food when I travel and go to lunch at work)....so, it's worth every penny for me.....Also, had a problem with my $500 Briggs and Riley computer and office bag....was at Home Cheap and found a Husky Bag for $69....decided to try it while I send back my B&R for repair - lifetime....and, now I find I really like it....you get some great looks on the plane and especially when you go into an important business meeting :)

more upgrades to come maybe today....I have to replace a few lights on the trailer.....but, that'll only take a few minutes.....right ?????

IMG_9658.thumb.jpg.91b8e8ea107baa440ac2d5294b48e433.jpg

Lots To Do

Great name for a boat!

Reminds me of my dad's boat.  He was forever forgetting to raise the I/O unit before leaving home, and there was a gutter about 100 yards away he had to cross.  Can't tell you how many lower units he replaced without getting close to the water.  He remembered better when my brother and I put a name on the stern:  HUNGTOOLOW  Embarrassed him bad, but he quit replacing lower units.

Then my sweet granddaughter got in the act on her dad.  We picked up a new boat back home in AK, interesting enough a Hewescraft aluminum rather than a Hewes (no relation), and my wife really wanted yellow. Yes Dear!!!!   Granddaughter came into the picture cuzz her dad uses our boats lots when he's home from his pro mariner job on the high seas.  He's decidedly superstitious about bananas on boats, so a yellow boat was borderline for him.  Granddaughter named it and spent a couple of hours getting the name on the stern:  Miss Chiquita!!!!

6 minutes ago, BrownBear said:

Great name for a boat!

Reminds me of my dad's boat.  He was forever forgetting to raise the I/O unit before leaving home, and there was a gutter about 100 yards away he had to cross.  Can't tell you how many lower units he replaced without getting close to the water.  He remembered better when my brother and I put a name on the stern:  HUNGTOOLOW  Embarrassed him bad, but he quit replacing lower units.

Then my sweet granddaughter got in the act on her dad.  We picked up a new boat back home in AK, interesting enough a Hewescraft aluminum rather than a Hewes (no relation), and my wife really wanted yellow. Yes Dear!!!!   Granddaughter came into the picture cuzz her dad uses our boats lots when he's home from his pro mariner job on the high seas.  He's decidedly superstitious about bananas on boats, so a yellow boat was borderline for him.  Granddaughter named it and spent a couple of hours getting the name on the stern:  Miss Chiquita!!!!

She is actually the Holy Ghost from the previous owner...I have did a bit of waxing as well...forgot to mention in upper post...they say it's bad luck to change the name of a boat without the original captains permission...or so I've heard....and since the original owner passed away...she'll be the Holy Ghost forever....it's a nice play on words...the previous owner was a fly fisherman and Jewish....so, I think he was having some fun with Holy....and Ghost for the grey ghost....my skiff is a 1995, in MINT condition....garage kept and a pure gem...she still smelled like fiberglass the day I picked her up...bought her, sight un-seen except for a few pictures not the Maverick forum...again, i'm in debt to Conocean who saw it...i bought it within hours and they woman who was selling it was the ex-wife...i picked her up for $11K cash- money in da hand...within one hour of the bank opening....she needed a good bit of work....she had not been run in 5 years...but, ol Capt DonH and I have spent about 100 hours doing refurb....carb rebuild - by Yamadog Boat Center Pros....new TM batteries, new simrad, stereo and speakers, seats,  fuel lines and tank cleaned, new RACOR connections, complete dis-assemble of oil injection system and fixed it....all new filters on the engine, plugs, fuel pump, new prop, new axle and tires, new wiring and lights, centering bunks, etc...i had a previous set of power-poles and trolling motor...so, all and all, I have about $11K plus $5K into the skiff with upgrades new stuff....

IMG_9631.jpg

Archived