Power T&T goes up but not down?

Reel Special 3

Have not used the boat in a couple of months and lowered the lift to run the engine and noticed that the power trim and tilt would go down but not up.   This was true for the button on the throttle and also the button on the engine.

I am hoping that this is a fuse issue and not a major repair.

Any ideas on the fix for this problem?  If it is a fuse, where would the fuse be located, on the fuse panel or an inline fuse somewhere?

Engine is a 2008 Yamaha 225 four stroke.

Thanks for any help with this problem.

Dan

Sounds exactly like a bad relay. They are located on the side of the engine (under the cowling). Follow your wires from the trim motor, up through the pan to the side of the engine. They will connect to the relays. Usually, a relay will click when you hit the trim button. Or you can hold your finger in the relay and feel for a slight thump. The one that is clicking is good, the one that does not click needs replacing. 

Like Bamaskeet said, you can change places with relays. If the problem is the relay, then the motor will go up, but not down. They are cheap and easy to replace. 

I do not know your motor but on mine (VZ250) you can get the wires going directly to the motor and bypass the relay to isolate the problem.  If all works going directly from the battery to the motor the relay or upstream from it is the problem, if it does not work going directly than the trim motor is your problem.  On mine the relay is goffy but there is a way to test it.

14 hours ago, Reel Special 3 said:

Ok, go figure.  I go out this afternoon to test out the relay ready to replace it and the power t & t works like it is suppose to!

So my philosophy is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thanks to all for your help.

Dan

there sounds like something has changed...I'd take the time to diagnosis it....sounds like some type of loose connection, etc.   I'd make sure I knew what was the issue before you have a problem when you are on the water and you trim up in shallow water, 20 miles from port, and it does not go down :(

dc

Ok, now my thinking has changed since the trim worked in both directions yesterday. Sounds more like a loose or corroded connection. Follow the trim wires up from the trim motor to where they lie in the pan. Some outboard manufacturers run the wires straight from the trim motor to the relays with no breaks in the wires, but some have wires that come from the trim motor and wires that come from the relays, that plug together and lie in the pan. That is a good place to look for corroded wiring connections. 

Additionally, you could have a corroded connection that will not allow current to flow through from the relays to the trim motor. But, repeated activation of the trim switch will cause the wiring to heat-up, then it makes a connection and things start working. Like Capt. DeWalt said; you don't want to be miles from the ramp when it fails again. 

Archived