Water Separating Filter Question

Kos

I just ordered a replacement Marpac water separating filter. I saw options for versions with the transparent base and drain on them, and was wondering if anyone can comment on whether these would be a better option. It would seem if I'm draining any water each trip, the chance of the filter element getting immersed in accumulating water would be minimized, and potentially extending the life of the filter.

Go with the clear bowl and drain after every trip, it will tell you about the health of you're gas tank and whether or not where you are buying fuel has a problem with water. Besides just the filter will accumulate water and you have no way of telling until "it" happens. I carry an old small salsa glass jar and drain into that in order to inspect what the fuel and the fuel tank is putting out.

I have been running a RACOR filter with the bowl for 15 years on various boats.  IMHO, the only way to tell if you are having fuel water separation from ethanol or just plain "junk" in the fuel lines. 

One of the guides I know in Chokoloskee carries a "back" up filter as do I now, after he filled at a local gas station in Everglades City and found his fuel ball going crush on a trip...he said he was about 35 miles down near the Lostman's river and found his fuel filter was full of sand....he had to stop and change it out....I carry a spare "big blue", but, my main is the RACOR...

I now do not fill up in any local gas stations where there is a possibility of water intrusion, etc. due to storms and flooding...I now only fill up at the "WAWA" here in FLL that always has REC Fuel 90.

I just use the bottom of a water bottle if and when I find any water in the fuel, which is now less than previous fueling when I was filling up over in Everglades City.

I do check the fuel bulb every trip prior to leaving home and change out the filter every 50 hours or so....about every 6 months or so...cheap insurance IMHO.

DC

Archived