Gas shock brackets

Capt. Troy

Looking for the ones they used for the gas shocks for the bench seat and port front locker on the 21 MA. It is the curved one not the 90 degree type. They have rusted badly and I am trying to source stainless steel ones if I can find them. It's the bracket with the ball mount for the shock.

Thanks in advance.

I bought some for my Pathfinder through a local Pathfinder dealer.  He ordered them straight from Ray at MBG.   Ray would know exactly what you need.  They were cheaper than buying from another supplier.  If MBG doesn't have them, then if you know the total length and compressed length, and pounds of pressure, you can order the Ameratool SS shocks straight from Maxum Hardware (  https://www.maxumhardware.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=75&osCsid=n0gg9ttip978n6ca57pm3p74dl), who are the distributors for Ameratool gas shocks.  They will customize your shock to whatever pounds of pressure you want.   My Pathfinder used 15", compressed to 9", and 30 lbs of pressure.

5 hours ago, polliwog said:

I am assuming it is a vintage 1995+ yr.  My 1998 LT Hewes has the same issue which I will have to deal with soon. Anxious to see where they are available.  My bracket is different from yours.

This is on a 2010 MA.

It's chicken poop to put Bass Pro Shops hardware on a boat like this.

I rarely bash this brand. It was a mistake they made.

I want to fix mine the right way.

It is one of the few things I can complain about for the way I use my boat.

I hope these complaints lead to continued success for the builder as they improve over time as they have.

I don't bring sand to the beach nor should they.

11 hours ago, KNOTNOW said:

I copied this one to a piece of scrap aluminum angle cut with a jig saw and smoothed with a file and matched the hole location and got the shock end off of eBay in stainless no more rust. 

IMG_1847.JPG

Nice work there and I was leaning in that direction. Another forum member 'Capt PN" directed me to Attwood Marine. Did some digging on their site and found the part in Stainless Steel. That fab job above is nice work and smart.

Thanks for the help guys.:)

23 hours ago, BrownBear said:

If not stainless on even new boats, it sounds like a good mod sooner rather than later.  Bookmarking this thread and the links.  Thanks!

There are 3 of them on my 21 MA. They all were always bleeding rust stains into the hatches. One finally fell apart. It was a constant battle of removing sanding and painting them. 1 year goes by and back to rusting they would go.

Yes, if you have them get rid of them.

On 11/15/2018 at 8:25 AM, JEM said:

Great find.  I have looked for those SS "crescent" brackets before.   Just for other members, here is the link to them.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/hardware-sl48-right-hand-crescent-bracket

Update. This enough to tick someone off!

Ordered these things 3 times now from Attwood distributors. Went through the entire billing process and shipping routine.

Apparently they are top secret mounts and the closest I got through West Marine was they only come in packages of 100.}:(

Purchased them again yesterday from Back to Boating. Got a text later saying order can't be processed. WTH

Attwood will not respond to my calls or emails. Guess I am going to fab my own. The saga continues.

9 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

Update. This enough to tick someone off!

Ordered these things 3 times now from Attwood distributors. Went through the entire billing process and shipping routine.

Apparently they are top secret mounts and the closest I got through West Marine was they only come in packages of 100.}:(

Purchased them again yesterday from Back to Boating. Got a text later saying order can't be processed. WTH

Attwood will not respond to my calls or emails. Guess I am going to fab my own. The saga continues.

You probably have thought of this already however suggest you apply three coats of clear coat to your finished product.
I clear coat all exposed metal as we live on a salt water marsh and it has really helped.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, hurricane said:

Do you have a part number or a measurement for those struts? I've been wanting to add them to my hatch. 

I was able to order the shocks through a Pathfinder dealer, working with Ray.  They were also lower priced than other online sources.  But you can order straight from Maxum Hardware, the distributor for Ameratool.  They are the 750 series, with a length of 15", and a compressed length of 9".   They have 30 lbs of pressure.

Here is a link to the Maxum Hardware page.  https://www.maxumhardware.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=75&osCsid=f4do58heifcg1r0s8gh6e6s130

I added those shocks to 4 of my hatches, and it was a great upgrade!

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1304.JPG

5 hours ago, mulligan said:

Looking at the pictures above and you can’t find a ss bracket you can always get the normal 90 in ss and add a block like on other models. 8DC7EDAA-9989-430E-9FC4-ED3511A93E5C.thumb.jpeg.0ec3a94c970ecbcb7483ba851556ca96.jpegC7AF4E4A-8D20-4260-B4AE-B44844E8BF9B.thumb.jpeg.c9cfe6a9f996e53f6f27353142a32d23.jpeg

Won't work for the front hatch. No Lip like that to attach. Too far back on that hatch.

It ain't the shock it's the mount. The link provided for the above is great for factory mounts. If you add them the stroke and length go by the mounting position. Most require the 30 lb psi shock to do the job.

As an add it is rocket science for stroke and length and position for the mount.

Hard to look in there when the hatch is closed to accommodate length and stroke.

You miss and it will open but won't close. Compressed closure is critical for a add on.

Archived