Back to Chokoloskee

Took a weekday off to take my old friend Captain Tom Ross out to Chokoloskee to fish the ENP and the 10K Islands. Tom is currently running a 74' Merritt for an owner out of Annapolis, but the boat is in the yard for some work through the end of the year. I recently helped Tom find a 2003 Maverick Master Angler that he is really enjoying.  Some of you may have met Tom and his lovely wife Ann at the MOT.  Tom is an accomplished blue water captain and pretty handy at the inshore stuff too! Weather report was favorable; the tides were big with the new moon but a little less favorable (8:19 a.m. low at Chatham River) as I tend to favor a falling tide in that area. We launched at OR at first light and ran south.  

Fishing primarily with soft plastics (Zman jerk baits in black and gold or Slayer or Down South paddle tails in several different colors; MirrOlure Lil John's in Watermellon Ice), we really got into the snook and trout but had trouble finding reds or tarpon. The snook were on the smaller side except for two slot sized fish that Tom brought to the boat. We got into some really nice trout on the low tide in a channel that runs parallel to a key. Over all, a great day with a good old friend in a magical place.

fullsizeoutput_4f74.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4f71.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4f6b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4f6d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4f6c.jpeg

Similar Day for Capt DonH and me....

We stayed local....found lots of rat reds and some trout around the Houston an Chatham....and down south around the keys past New Turkey....

We moved to the back and got on a good small red and snooklet bite with a few ladys and trout mixed in......excitement for the day was a small shark that chased a jack-ster up to the boat...time to move to the back soon.....don and I might be ready for an arti-lesson from you :)

DC

Archived