SeaDek install in the morning

dcathey

It looks great!  It is so tempting when you see it new.  But I have a Marine Mat fish ruler, and it is an eye sore after measuring slimy fish on it for a couple of years.  I don't see how I could ever keep it looking nice, after slinging fish over the gunnel and tracking in mud and everything else.     

Since my deck just doesn't clean up like it should, I suspect sometime over the next year or so, I am just going to have my non skid professionally redone.

1 hour ago, dcathey said:

I’ve had this exact color pad and ruler for years on my old boat and a cooler. My little electric pressure washer keeps it looking new and it’s 6 year old seadek. I beat the hell out of the cooler pad and still looks new. 

Approx what is cost for SeaDek like you have in the 22 Pathfinder ? 

12 hours ago, HoneyB said:

Mine was nice on the feet for sure. Mine was kept outside but always under a nice cover. The corners dried and shriveled up in the second year. The would not fully wattenty but covered some of the cost of replacement .. the second set did the same thing. 

What color did you have? I have read that issue a few times. I wonder why it did that. The edging on my old pad looks perfect at 6 years old. This boat will only see the sun when I’m using it. It stays in my shop and nice and dry.

I had teak and holly. my boat was covered with a cover and parked under a pole barn so only sun was when i was using it. the first set had a trimed edge. i asked that the second set not have the trimed edge but it still shrivled in the corners. Some reports are that the sun reflects uv rays if the gelcoat is polished nicely. Im not here to bash the product again im sure the OP will love walking around on it.

Looks great and looks like comfy feet!

I had it on my last boat for about 6 years and it held up very well.  I had it done before they got all fancy with so it was just one layer of 5mm but just had one small corner pull up and just reglued it.  I am guessing it was a spot I did not prep well enough.  For cleaning I always used Star Brite nonskid cleaner with ptef.  It seemed to keep it "moist" and made cleaning easy, it was much easier to clean than the nonskid I have now.  I wish I had it on my current boat but for what I paid to have my whole 18' Hewes done I can not even get my front deck done!

2 hours ago, dcathey said:

HoneyB when you washed yours, what was most effective cleaner or process? I’ve had best luck with smaller electric pressure washers but curious from someone who has had it on the whole boat 

Be sure when you pressure wash to start in the middle and work it out towards the edges to help prevent peeling.

6 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I never needed more than a stiff scrub brush and maybe some scouring powder on stains. 

This was mine Pioneer Cape Island 186

56F1ABFA-11B5-47C7-A459-DDC782004C0D.jpeg

So apparently according to the installer, this stuff can stretch in the sun or heated up. I wonder if with that darker color the foam moves more, stretching and shrinking which seems like it could lead to problems. I’m just spitballing after listening to what he was saying. For the record he installed mine inside then moved it in the sun to see if there were any air pockets under the foam

Archived