Bait well LED light

JEM

For those of you with bait well lights, I am toying with the idea of adding a bait well light.  I have never had one, and was curious if they are usually mounted high in the well (above the water level) or down low in the water, or does it matter? Also, it would be very simple to get the power from the pump wires, so that the light is on every time the pump is on.  Are there any pros or cons (other than the obvious miniscule power draw) to this, or should the light be on it's own switch and circuit?  Also, does light color make any difference?  Thanks for any help!

It’s funny you mentioned the blue light, I saw a 24 Yellowfin in St Simons last weekend with a greenish blue light in both live wells, the lights were actually underwater ...about 4” from bottom of live well. Looked pretty cool.....I’m guessing waterproof LED.

Also had some neat LED lights at floor level of console shining on floor, therefore not blinding you at the helm.

Mine was factory installed about half way up the water column and is white light.  If you mount it above the water, you might get too much glare. I don't see a problem with connecting it to the live well pump because they are LED and draw very little amps. And it's always on when you are using the live well. Most are connected to the compartment lights, so you have to throw the switch every time you need a bait. 

I put in a Lumitec newt (white) super small, inexpensive and a great light.  I run to different size stand pipes depending on how much or what type bait im carrying, one full size and the other about 1/2.  I mounted it so with the half pipe it is under water which puts it right about half way up the well which was about as high as i could get it anyway with the way my hull / well is constructed.  Id prefer to have it all the way at the very top of the well so there would be almost no chance youd be able to look directly at the light. 

56 minutes ago, FINCHASER said:

I put in a Lumitec newt (white) super small, inexpensive and a great light.  I run to different size stand pipes depending on how much or what type bait im carrying, one full size and the other about 1/2.  I mounted it so with the half pipe it is under water which puts it right about half way up the well which was about as high as i could get it anyway with the way my hull / well is constructed.  Id prefer to have it all the way at the very top of the well so there would be almost no chance youd be able to look directly at the light. 

I was looking at the Lumitec also because of their quality reputation.  Do you have it on it’s own switch?  I know you do a lot of nighttime fishing..

Archived