New Axles

all wet

Took a trip down to Ameratrail on Tuesday and picked up a couple new axles.  Old ones were 9 years old and getting metal peel off at rusted areas, so I figured it was time.  They came with hubs that were different from the old ones, these are Tie-Down Vortex hubs and Mark at Ameratrail said they don't require adding grease at all, fully sealed and warranted for 100,000 miles.  Anyone have any experience with them?

IMG_3274.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

IMG_3280.JPG

1 hour ago, hurricane said:

No experience. But now I want them, 100,000 miles and no grease! The hub grease will last longer than the axle. Care to share the cost and how do they measure mileage for the warranty?

Very good question! Is that 100k miles include dunking them in saltwater? I would know how to NOT look at my axle's grease every once in a while!! Never heard of the Vortex hubs, my one and only experience with Tie Down was their disc brakes which were good for maybe six months to eight months, however the metal guy who comes through my neighborhood did appreciate them for scrap money.

I bought a 24 trs last year in Texas that has vortex hubs on it.  We drug the boat straight back to central Fl non stop and the hubs were cool to the touch at every pit stop.  So far no problems and absolutely no grease slung everywhere like previous trailers.  From what I’ve read, the center cap sticks out just a little bit....if the cap isn’t sticking out then they are low on lube.  I put the boat in salt water at least 2x a month and like I said no problems so far.

2 hours ago, hurricane said:

No experience. But now I want them, 100,000 miles and no grease! The hub grease will last longer than the axle. Care to share the cost and how do they measure mileage for the warranty?

Good question on measuring mileage.  I just went to the Ameratrail parts site to see what it say there.  It's 6 year/100,000 miles, so 6 years will be the time frame for me.  Here's the link that shows the price for them too.  https://ameratrailparts.com/collections/hubs/products/5-lug-vortex-hub-w-6-year-100-000-mile-warranty-packed-greased-and-ready-to-roll

I have them on mine as of 2 years ago when I replaced the axles. So far so good and no grease leaking out the back side. Paid just over 500 bucks per axle with the hubs included. Time will tell but if they go 6 years the torsion axles will be toast again anyways. That is about the limit of the rubber torsion portion of the axle if you trailer a lot even if the axle isn't rotted out.

22 hours ago, hurricane said:

6 Years thats good.

That little rubber cap on the hubs is pretty standard on all posilube type axles. I replace them about once a year, cause they get dry rot.

Those little rubber plugs get soft and don't alway seal 100%.  I suggest strongly that you put "bearing bras" over the dust cover to reduce water intrusion.

I've noticed most of the water intrusion I get from the Posi-Lube type hubs is from the outside rubber "disc" in the dust cap (as mentioned above) versus the inside seals. My trailer guy has some machined aluminum dust caps that tap into the hub with a plastic screw on O-ring sealing outer cap for use with grease (not the oil type). They are really, really nice, however at $20 each I had to pass because it looked to me as pretty as they were they would be too inviting for thieves! So I went old school a year ago, and after approximately 800 - 900 miles and checking after long trips...still with no leaks. Takes a minute and a pair of channel locks to check the grease for water and with the tool just seconds to put it back on or put on a new one.

https://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/198-Dust-Cap-Standard-for-4-Lug-and-5-Lug-Hubs-_p_634.html

https://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/198-Trailer-Dust-Cap-installation-Tool_p_704.html

Archived