SWF Owners Tournament ?

Fishtails

Wow what a great time. My first owners tourney and it exceeded my expectations.

It was great to put a face behind that name. Chasinsnook lives minutes from me and has an amazing family, and I have his wife to thank for giving me the good luck Mojo...DblPly is an amazing tarpon fly fishing machine (not to mention a great countdown guy, and knot tyer.) After several beverages and closing down the bar, he was still able to show us THE knot... and oldsalt and his sons gave us some great advice. There is no doubt that was a special trip for him and his sons. Reel Loco and his wife were a cl*** act.

Thanks MBC, and Charlie and Megan were amazing.

Looking forward to next year.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to everyone who came out. It was a great time and the Tarpon Lodge was the perfect venue.

Congrats again to the winners-

Youth Champion: Jordan Rees

Ladies Champion: Emily Driver

Craig Roop: Master Angler

Total fish scored -

Snook:19

Redfish:46

Trout: 78

Snapper:36

Finally, thanks again to our great sponsors-

Power Pole, Yamaha, Costa Del Mar, Olukai Footwear, Engel Coolers, Hooked Rods,Titan Knives,Tru Flies, Red Zone Apparel, CCA Florida, Fort Myers Marine, DOA, Mirrolure, B*** ******in, and The Tarpon Lodge.

Megan has a bunch of pictures and will be posting them shortly.

We're on for next year. Stay tuned for the dates.

What a great time at the first ever SWOT. Thanks to Steve (Fishtails) for applying the pressure on MBC to have one and thanks to MBC for coming up huge!!! Tarpon Lodge was excellent in location, lodging, food, and hospitality.

Thank you to the many folks who made our first OT an enjoyable event! Our only regret was not having enough time to meet everyone. Thanks to Big Dave (the cooler guy) and Intheslot12 (the cl*** act comment was nice,but obviously you don't know us that well LOL) for a great lunch @ Cabbage Key, Oldsalt and sons Rob & Von for being wonderful friends, getting to know Indy21 and friend Dale better, meeting Snookicide & Rob, RW & Lynn (Where's the Fish), Mitchell & Gayle (Spotted Fever), Anthony & Crew (Chasinsnook), & last but not least FLfishchaser Rusty & Emily who were THE most enthusiastic, hardcore fishing couple we met! Their smiles never faded thru the whole event. Apologies to the folks we did not get time to spend with. Next year we'll try to meet up with more great folks of the MBC family.

Thanks again to the whole MBC crew for all the hard work putting on this tournament and many thanks to the wonderful sponsors (Power Pole, Yamaha, Costa Del Mar, Olukai Footwear, Engel Coolers, Hooked Rods,Titan Knives,Tru Flies, Red Zone Apparel, CCA Florida, Fort Myers Marine, DOA, Mirrolure, B*** ******in, and The Tarpon Lodge)! :)

P.S. Charlie, did Indy21 really outfish me ???

RL

My wife made this last night. Yum!

Shrimp Grits

Recommend using stone-ground grits. They take more time to cook, but their flavor and texture are richer than instant grits. For quicker cooking, let the grits soak in water in the refrigerator overnight.

SERVES 4

Ingredients

1 cup white or yellow stone-ground grits (they used white)

3â„4 cup grated cheddar

1â„4 cup parmesan

2 tbsp. unsalted butter

Kosher salt

2 tbsp. canola oil

4 slices bacon, chopped

1 lb. medium shrimp (about 30), peeled

Freshly ground black pepper

6 button mushrooms, thinly sliced(might increase this some)

1 clove garlic, finely chopped(I like a little more garlic)

1â„2 cup chicken broth

1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice,

1â„2 tsp. hot sauce, preferably Tabasco

4 scallions, thinly sliced

Instructions

In a 2-qt. saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and whisk in grits. Cook, whisking frequently, until grits are tender and creamy, 30–40 minutes. (Whisk in more water for thinner grits.) Whisk in cheddar, parmesan, and 1 tbsp. butter and season with salt; cover and set aside.

Heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel–lined plate; set aside. Reserve cooking fat in skillet.

Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Over medium-high heat, add shrimp to skillet and cook, turning once, until bright pink, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate with a slotted spoon. Lower heat to medium; add mushrooms to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until golden, 1 minute. Raise heat to high, add chicken broth, and scrape bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon. Cook until broth reduces by half, 3 minutes. Return shrimp to skillet along with the lemon juice, remaining butter, and hot sauce and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Divide grits between 4 bowls; top each with shrimp and its sauce. Garnish each bowl with bacon, scallions.

Enjoy!

glad you all had a great time and the pics show it. sorry we were not able to be there. is there any mention about a MEET & GREET like we had a year ago. there was some mention about having one this year at Burnt Store Marina. Even a gathering at Pelican Bay would be nice. Fin

Archived