Hit & Run

Buzzarde

Anyone in the Tarpon Springs area please keep your eyes out for a late model Mckee craft 16' to 17'  FL 2588LY.  This boat with 2 intoxicated males and a female attempted to leave Port Tarpon marina and plowed into my new 24' pathfinder and then left the marina. I was able to chase them down but they refused to turn around. So I got a good look and the FLs but dident have my phone so could not get pics of the percs.  FWC is investigating but said the boat came back as being owned by a person with a middle eastern name and these 2 guys were not that!  The damage is believed to be over $2000.  I really felt like ramming them after they told me to F off  Was all I could do not to swamp them!   But Ive got a lot more to lose than these loosers. my contact is Bruce (863)899-4665  the case number isFWC   PWSW 18-OFF-018193  

18 hours ago, smilemaker said:

Was the boat reported stolen prior to accident.

If not I would  think the boat owner is responsible.  I believe Reports after the accident are looked at differently.

I would have to agree. If your car hits someone either the driver or the cars insurance is responsible for damage. I would have worn them out, no way the skiff had as much fuel. Hope it works out for Buzzard.

Well the FWC followed up and spoke to the owner who had just sold the boat a week before.  He was able to provide a name and address of the man who bought it. They went to the man property  and confirmed  that the boat was there. So they came back at 6:30am and met the man as he was heading out the door.  At first he claimed that the dockhand pushed his boat into mine however after being shown the video he fessed up!   

Dobey  I would agree, however we had just pulled in from fishing and I only had 1 bar on the fuel indicator and I had just put my cell on the shore charger and did not have a chance to grab it.   At least I was able to catch up to him after only a mile. I was hoping he would have pulled in at the boat ramp at the mouth of the Anclote but he kept on going.  I have now loaded the hotline numbers for the CG, MP, FWC, and the TPPD  and my phone will stay with me until the boat is out of the water.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an important lesson for selling a vehicle or vessel in Florida........

Extremely Important
Protect Yourself by Filing Form HSMV 82050

Florida law requires sellers to file form HSMV 82050. Filing this form with a motor vehicle service center will remove the seller’s registration from the vehicle and help the seller avoid any civil liability for the operation of the motor vehicle after the sale. Once filed, it becomes the buyers’s responsibility to apply for the title and registration before he/she can legally operate the motor vehicle. If the buyer fails to do this, and the seller does NOT file form HSMV 82050, the seller can be held liable for actions associated with the motor vehicle, even if they no longer own the vehicle. The form also documents the sale and is the legal receipt. Keep copies of the bill of sale (DHSMV recommends having it notarized), certificate of title or other type of transaction document showing it was sold.

8 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Extremely Important
Protect Yourself by Filing Form HSMV 82050

Florida law requires sellers to file form HSMV 82050. Filing this form with a motor vehicle service center will remove the seller’s registration from the vehicle and help the seller avoid any civil liability for the operation of the motor vehicle after the sale. Once filed, it becomes the buyers’s responsibility to apply for the title and registration before he/she can legally operate the motor vehicle. If the buyer fails to do this, and the seller does NOT file form HSMV 82050, the seller can be held liable for actions associated with the motor vehicle, even if they no longer own the vehicle. The form also documents the sale and is the legal receipt. Keep copies of the bill of sale (DHSMV recommends having it notarized), certificate of title or other type of transaction document showing it was sold.

By the way the hyper links work to access the form from the state of Florida.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived