New 2400 TRS Live well pump(s) failure

Bought a new 2400 from local dealer in Port Charlotte.  Boat has less than 50 hours on it and all three live well pumps, Rule Tournament Series 800 failed, serially (not all at once but within boat hours of each other.  The last one cost me a live well full of Pilchers (pissed).

The dealer gave me three new ones and I installed them - see picks of the failures - all the same.

I also had a trim tab switch failure, took it out, took it apart and cleaned the contacts (no pics) and it worked perfectly.  Seems like very little use to have this many things require my attention.

Another comment, the scuppers in the corners need to be much larger and the check valves improved - the system is inefficient as it stands...I expect better from Pathfinder!

I love the boat, it runs skinny and I need it to.  Has plenty of room, feels solid and its outfitted right.  Overall, very pleased but I'm looking forward to less issues going forward...

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0046.JPEG

IMG_0248.JPEG

If the wiring and connections are of sufficient quality and size, you can’t blame MBG for pump failures.  They didn’t make the pumps.  I have the same pumps, and I just replaced one after one and a half years of fairly heavy use.   I was satisfied with that life span.  Again, MBG didn’t make the trim tab switch.  Sometimes, new boats have to have the gremlins worked out.  

One other thought.  When you keep a boat out in the weather and in the salt air, electrical stuff will necessarily have shorter lives.  That is to be expected.

My 2018 24' had the same thing, 2 of my 3 pumps went bad.  I found out that Rule had a problem with a batch of their pumps and did not find out until they were in circulation.  I had a 2006 22' pathfinder and its drainage was not very effective. The new boat is a lot more effective but makes a lot of noise when waves are hitting the ports.  I had 2 of my hatches that were not installed  straight and  had to be re-drilled  at the hinge.   my boat run great and very skinny!  I just had a few things that needed some"adjusting" 

On 10/9/2018 at 1:36 PM, JEM said:

If the wiring and connections are of sufficient quality and size, you can’t blame MBG for pump failures.  They didn’t make the pumps.  I have the same pumps, and I just replaced one after one and a half years of fairly heavy use.   I was satisfied with that life span.  Again, MBG didn’t make the trim tab switch.  Sometimes, new boats have to have the gremlins worked out.  

One other thought.  When you keep a boat out in the weather and in the salt air, electrical stuff will necessarily have shorter lives.  That is to be expected.

JEM - what I can expect is Maverick to let me know via bulletin that this is an issue - much like an automotive manufacturer will (should).  Rather address it at the dock than to burn fuel and time only to have to deal with it on the water.  Also, the Pathy's come with a premium price and the switches, particularly the trim tabs switches could be better - Lenco tactile as an example.  

I'm giving an honest, no BS appraisal of the machine, its a good one to be sure.  As I stated, I bought it to run skinny and somewhat comfortably in the Charlotte Harbor area and that it does.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 2:52 PM, Buzzarde said:

My 2018 24' had the same thing, 2 of my 3 pumps went bad.  I found out that Rule had a problem with a batch of their pumps and did not find out until they were in circulation.  I had a 2006 22' pathfinder and its drainage was not very effective. The new boat is a lot more effective but makes a lot of noise when waves are hitting the ports.  I had 2 of my hatches that were not installed  straight and  had to be re-drilled  at the hinge.   my boat run great and very skinny!  I just had a few things that needed some"adjusting" 

Buzzards - where are you using the boat?

42 minutes ago, CarlosECarlos said:

JEM - what I can expect is Maverick to let me know via bulletin that this is an issue - much like an automotive manufacturer will (should).  Rather address it at the dock than to burn fuel and time only to have to deal with it on the water.  Also, the Pathy's come with a premium price and the switches, particularly the trim tabs switches could be better - Lenco tactile as an example.  

I'm giving an honest, no BS appraisal of the machine, its a good one to be sure.  As I stated, I bought it to run skinny and somewhat comfortably in the Charlotte Harbor area and that it does.

You can buy a $200,000 Barker, and have stuff go wrong.  Boats are not cars.  And for sure, boat manufacturers are not auto manufacturers.   I don't know of any boat manufacturer that has a recall system in place for outsourced parts and equipment.  Maybe some do, but I am not familiar with them.  Did MGB even know about this pump issue?  It sounds like they stood behind the product and made it good under warranty........as they should have. 

I had a friend who purchased a 2016 2400 brand new and fully loaded.  After about a year, he kept collecting water in the bilge.  It turned out that all the thru hulls in the sea chest had to be pulled out and reinstalled.  It shouldn't have happened, but MBG paid the bill at a non MBG dealer.......no questions asked.  Stuff is always going to happen with boats.....it is the nature of the beast.  But how the manufacturer stands behind the product is what separates the wheat from the chafe.    I can't fault MBG for their customer service after the sale!

Premium price?  Off the top of my head, I suspect I could name 8 or 10 bay boats more expensive than a Pathfinder.   And some considerably more expensive! 

If the lower unit on the Yamaha started leaking oil unnoticed because a seal wasn't seated properly at the factory and went bad, would that also be MBG's fault?

I run my boat out of Tarpon Springs and do both skinny and offshore.  There should be a dedicated pump for each livewell.  The boat may have an option to have the factory plumb a 2nd or 3rd livewell.  Then there may be a recirculating pump on it own circuit for your primary livewell as well!

14 hours ago, Vapor Trail said:

Do you have 3 live well pumps for three live wells?  I ordered a 2600 with two 36 gallon live wells and it looks like in the pictures it has one split between them.   I use live bait a lot and I expect the system to be designed properly with as much as they tout their live well systems on YouTube. 

yes, have three live wells.  main aft center and crab aft port side.  third fore center...

20 minutes ago, Buzzarde said:

I run my boat out of Tarpon Springs and do both skinny and offshore.  There should be a dedicated pimp for each livewell.  The boat may have an option to have the factory plumb a 2nd or 3rd livewell.  Then there may be a recirculating pump on it own circuit for your primary livewell as well!

yes have a dedicated recirc for main and dedicated pumps for each of three LWs

17 hours ago, JEM said:

You can buy a $200,000 Barker, and have stuff go wrong.  Boats are not cars.  And for sure, boat manufacturers are not auto manufacturers.   I don't know of any boat manufacturer that has a recall system in place for outsourced parts and equipment.  Maybe some do, but I am not familiar with them.  Did MGB even know about this pump issue?  It sounds like they stood behind the product and made it good under warranty........as they should have. 

I had a friend who purchased a 2016 2400 brand new and fully loaded.  After about a year, he kept collecting water in the bilge.  It turned out that all the thru hulls in the sea chest had to be pulled out and reinstalled.  It shouldn't have happened, but MBG paid the bill at a non MBG dealer.......no questions asked.  Stuff is always going to happen with boats.....it is the nature of the beast.  But how the manufacturer stands behind the product is what separates the wheat from the chafe.    I can't fault MBG for their customer service after the sale!

Premium price?  Off the top of my head, I suspect I could name 8 or 10 bay boats more expensive than a Pathfinder.   And some considerably more expensive! 

If the lower unit on the Yamaha started leaking oil unnoticed because a seal wasn't seated properly at the factory and went bad, would that also be MBG's fault?

Dude - your approach is condescending as hell - I've owned seven boats - now eight.  Telling me the marine environment is tough - well, you are wasting air (you should be charged for it).  Yes, many other more expensive boats - I get it...

Maverick/Pathfinder could/should improve this boat at little cost - that was the point...its constructive feedback unlike your drivel...out!

2 hours ago, CarlosECarlos said:

Dude - your approach is condescending as hell - I've owned seven boats - now eight.  Telling me the marine environment is tough - well, you are wasting air (you should be charged for it).  Yes, many other more expensive boats - I get it...

Maverick/Pathfinder could/should improve this boat at little cost - that was the point...its constructive feedback unlike your drivel...out!

I didn't intend to be condescending.  I apologize.  But to think that MBG, or any boat builder is going to invest in the resources that would enable them to track and issue recall notices on every outsourced part that goes on their boats is just plain......well...... folly!   I can just see every wire, wire connector,  fuse, breaker,  battery, hose, thru hull, cleat, horn, light, PUMP, SWITCH, windshield,  latch, hinge, deck hardware, and on and on maintained in a proprietary data base for notifying the entire customer base on recalls!  And that is exactly what you suggested MBG should be doing.   Sorry. This ain't the aerospace industry!    If you think MBG boats are premium priced now, just wait!  LOL

If you had to pay for the bait well full of pilchards, I am very sorry for your loss!

• Haha 1

Easy, boys !  If you only knew the problems associated with outsourced accessories. I can tell you the factory wrestles with pumps, jackplates and switches, that they purchase as 'the best'..

They strive to install the best hardware and pumps, and they get let down. One pump brand outsourced their pump manufacturing and had a big batch of defective housings made. They balked on the warranty costs the factory pushed back on them.  So, a truck full of the pumps got sent back and another brand was chosen. Same with jackplates.

These fails will happen, but they try like heck to install the best stuff in the first place. Please be patient

Mod

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry you had some issues and I understand the frustration. But stuff happens.

We have a 2018 Hewes RF and our main livewell pump (Shurflo) failed just last week (63 hours).

We have a great dealer (Ingman) and a great Service Manager (Tim) and they replaced the cartridge no questions asked. It's a little annoying having to trailer it in etc...but they couldn't be nicer and got us in right away.

This is our 2nd Hewes RF and we previously had a Cobia CC. MBG has always been good to us.

previous brands  we've owned were Boston Whaler (that livewell pump a Rule, failed after just 6 months), Parker, Grady-White, Key West, Chris-Craft, Bayliner, Sailfish and Seacraft. It has been our experience that the marine environment is challenging to all things mechanical and all brands seem to have issues at times.  

We're lucky to have this site to share our experiences and learn from each other. Apprechiate the opportunity to add a post.

Be Well

On 10/9/2018 at 12:12 PM, CarlosECarlos said:

Bought a new 2400 from local dealer in Port Charlotte.  Boat has less than 50 hours on it and all three live well pumps, Rule Tournament Series 800 failed, serially (not all at once but within boat hours of each other.  The last one cost me a live well full of Pilchers (pissed).

The dealer gave me three new ones and I installed them - see picks of the failures - all the same.

I also had a trim tab switch failure, took it out, took it apart and cleaned the contacts (no pics) and it worked perfectly.  Seems like very little use to have this many things require my attention.

Another comment, the scuppers in the corners need to be much larger and the check valves improved - the system is inefficient as it stands...I expect better from Pathfinder!

I love the boat, it runs skinny and I need it to.  Has plenty of room, feels solid and its outfitted right.  Overall, very pleased but I'm looking forward to less issues going forward...

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0046.JPEG

IMG_0248.JPEG

Who made the blue covers for you?  Approximate cost?  Thanks.