Repowering LT18?

Drummer

Hi guys, I am considering repowering my 2000 LT18. I have a great Yamaha 130 (which will most likely end up on a Lapstrake RF18) and am considering a VMax 150 2002 carbed. I would love a better holeshot and top end at WOT when needed. Does anybody have experience with this changeover or does anybody have a period LT18 or RF18 with a carbed V6 150? ? I realize I'll gain some weight in the stern. I wonder how much my fuel usage will increase with the V6. All comments welcomed.  

We carefully considered a 150 VMax SHO when we bought our RF18 last winter.  The folks at FMM actually talked us out of it in favor of the 115 VMax SHO.  They reported that trim tab adjustment was just too critical and had to be readjusted too often for their tastes as speed and sea state changed. I had money in hand to buy the 150 and they were cutting their own sale in telling us that, so I tend to believe them.  Dunno what that has to do with your particular boat and motor choice, but it's something to think over. 

BTW- We have a 4-blade stainless on our 115, and hole shots are more than impressive.  It's pretty easy to hit 48MPH when trimmed out with two people and a full load of fuel.

Like you said... That 130 is a great engine.  I had one on my 98 Lappy 18 and after some prop testing years back it ran right at 51 MPH with one person, 48-49 with two guys.  I never felt it lacked power.  I have a friend with a Lappy and a carbed Vmax 150.  He doesn't mess with props as much but the boat will easily run 52-53 MPH.  It definitely squats a little more than mine did and it consumes more fuel making the same run as me.  If weight is not a concern I would look for a 2.6L HPDI 150, 175 or 200.  A little better fuel economy than the carbed or OX66 versions. 

I had a 150 VMax on my 20 LT and it had plenty of power to push toward 50MPH , but at that speed it clugged down the fuel.  Make sure If you buy a late 90"s carbed 150 you check out the possible corrosion in the heads or water jacket. My 98 finally died of water jacket perforation.  I did love the engine, 20 yrs of trouble free running.

• 8 months later...