Best Fluorocarbon Knot?

Nolezone

I lost a monster red the other night right at sunset. It had to be 15+ lbs and he hit a 5" white swimming shad Gulp on a red head 1/4" jig head. He made 3 thrilling runs and I was about to turn my trolling motor around to chase him, thinking he might spool me. Then he made one last run and my line went limp. Disgusted, I reeled my line in and noticed the jig head had actually come untied from the 20# fluorocarbon leader I was using. I thought I'd tied the jig on well with an improved Clinch Knot but obviously not.

What does the group think is the best knot to use when tieing heavier fluorocarbon line? 

19 minutes ago, BrownBear said:

I'm using a Uni for general purposes, but always a loop knot for jigs and plastics.  And wet the heck out of either one before you pull it tight!

X2 without question for jigs, and all type of plastics. Now using it on all live bait also due to better natural action.

19 minutes ago, BrownBear said:

I'm using a Uni for general purposes, but always a loop knot for jigs and plastics.  And wet the heck out of either one before you pull it tight!

1 hour ago, Compton said:

Loop knot.  I have had Clinch knots fail/slip on the heavier fluoro as well. 

Yep, I lost 4 fish in a row a week ago on properly tied improved clinch knots.  I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there!:D  So, I quickly tied on another hook with the old, plain jane figure 8 knot and cinched it down good, and haven't had a failure since.  Go figure.............

Whatever you tie your better pull it to the point of breaking the line. Stuff can unravel it's self if you don't.

Tied a lot of knots for Tarpon leaders in 80 and 90 lb Seagar. I have done damage to myself pulling so hard.

Wet and pull and make sure the knot comes together and looks right when finished. If it doesn't roll together or looks funny do it again.

1 hour ago, Capt. Troy said:

Whatever you tie your better pull it to the point of breaking the line. Stuff can unravel it's self if you don't.

Tied a lot of knots for Tarpon leaders in 80 and 90 lb Seagar. I have done damage to myself pulling so hard.

Wet and pull and make sure the knot comes together and looks right when finished. If it doesn't roll together or looks funny do it again.

Great advice,  more than a couple times I have lost a lure or cut a line when we where in fish and replaced a rig as fast as I could looked at a leader to line knot that didn’t look 100% and used it anyway because I wanted another shot at a fish and was in a hurry . Usually when that happens there isn’t a good ending to that fish story . 

Archived