BradM

Nizpro Tune // 250 SHO

Great info here, indeed. I've learned a lot reading thru all the posts. 

Being insurable and avoiding the possibility of having a claim denied would be of primary concern if I were thinking about tuning my motor, especially if I was a guide. The bottom line is this....if the actual horsepower of your motor exceeds the stamp on your boat then your policy could be null & void. If you don't disclose that you've tuned your motor then you're withholding info from your insurer. Tuning a motor during a policy term would be viewed as a "material change in risk". Stupidity claims are often covered but claims involving the absence of full material disclosure are denied 99% of the time.  

I don't know any insurers that will endorse a policy to cover a vessel that is powered by a motor that exceeds a manufacturer's max HP rating. In this instance, one of the key facts in a liability claim that arises due to a passenger injury while running or collision/allision would be the engine horsepower not exceeding the stamp on the boat. A physical damage claim (transom and/or hull failure) would be simple to deny if a vessel is overpowered. If someone is injured bad enough (or possibly killed) and/or if enough property is damaged then you can guarantee the attorney that the insurer hires will confirm the motor's actual horsepower and cross reference that info with the stamp on the boat. I've seen it happen dozens of times. 

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade but I've been in the yacht/boat insurance business for 20 years. I've seen bad things happen to a lot of good people and I'd like to have all of my fellow forum members avoid anything bad happening to them. 

With that being said.....have any of you with tuned motors disclosed that info to your insurers?? If yes, I would like to know what their response was. If no, then you may want to think about doing so. 

• Like 1