BradM

Nizpro Tune // 250 SHO

Are any of you running the ECU flash/tune that Nizpro Marine out of Australia, offers? I have been speaking with Simon, their director, about their flash and have some impressive dyno charts that he sent me. The 250 SHO (even the 4.2 200 SHO) ends up at 332 H.P. at 5,450 RPM versus stock 266 HP and 6,040 RPM. The more impressive chart is the torque curve. Torque comes in sooner and equals that of the stock tune, and then rockets to the new peak number and remains table top flat from 4k RPM to 5100 RPM. This new curve would make for an insane "passing gear" when going from a 4k RPM cruise speed up to max speed or even just simply speeding up.

I'm working out the details with them and the local dealer network down in Tampa, and will advise. Just curious if anyone else is running one.

I have read and continue to read a bunch about flashing the ECU on the Bass Boat Forum.  There are several different outfits in the US that do it.  Generally, it seems the people that have done it see some additional top speed after changing props, but to me, the reported gains don't seem to match up with the supposed hp and torque gains.   It would add up to well over a thousand bucks invested, after changing props, for what seems like just 3 or 4 miles per hour, maybe,  on top end.  I am still interested, though,  for my 225 SHO.......after warranty expiration.  

I would love to see more evidence, for instance, if you have yours flashed.   You would think in your case, that an additional 66 hp would add at least 6 or 8 mph on top end!  I would assume in my case, going from whatever my engine produces, say 230 or 235 hp, up to 332 hp,  adding 100 hp, would, after the appropriate prop change, easily add 10 or 15 mph.   I would love to see it!!!!!!  Please keep us posted.  Thanks.   

• Haha 1

I have been looking for first hand information as well. It is difficult to find anyone with first hand knowledge of the flash. I want to find the blog where some one says they flashed , they love it or flashing was a waste of money. I have a 200 sho that I would love to flash. My Yamaha guy thinks I would see impressive gains if I had a tune put in equal to a stock 250. 

Our Ft. Myers dealer, Ft. Myers Marine is a dealer for them and has done quite a few installs, suggest you call them.

Skip

6 minutes ago, slyshon said:

Our Ft. Myers dealer, Ft. Myers Marine is a dealer for them and has done quite a few installs, suggest you call them.

Skip

Thanks Skip! I saw them listed and wasn't sure if they were a Pathfinder dealer. I'll stick with them since they are.

JEM, I've read a lot of the same boards and it seems the 200 SHO gains the most....Obviously. I would be happy with a consistent 5 MPH gain in both directions (wind, current, etc.). But as stated, then it's the prop dance all over again and that's expensive all by itself! I'm in the early stages of this and often circle things for a bit before I bite. I'll load the pictures of the dyno charts later on, Headhunter. Nizpro is in Australia, and I am working with their director, who has been great! Of course there is the time difference, so correspondence has a day or so of delay.

JEM, have you looked at their super charger? You could have a SHO 450!

49 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

I have been looking for first hand information as well. It is difficult to find anyone with first hand knowledge of the flash. I want to find the blog where some one says they flashed , they love it or flashing was a waste of money. I have a 200 sho that I would love to flash. My Yamaha guy thinks I would see impressive gains if I had a tune put in equal to a stock 250. 

Go to the BBC forum, Bass Boat Central, scroll down to the Yamaha forum, then select Yamaha - High Performance.  You can spend a day reading actual results from people who have done the ECU flash.  It is pretty interesting, if nothing else.

10 minutes ago, BradM said:

Thanks Skip! I saw them listed and wasn't sure if they were a Pathfinder dealer. I'll stick with them since they are.

JEM, I've read a lot of the same boards and it seems the 200 SHO gains the most....Obviously. I would be happy with a consistent 5 MPH gain in both directions (wind, current, etc.). But as stated, then it's the prop dance all over again and that's expensive all by itself! I'm in the early stages of this and often circle things for a bit before I bite. I'll load the pictures of the dyno charts later on, Headhunter. Nizpro is in Australia, and I am working with their director, who has been great! Of course there is the time difference, so correspondence has a day or so of delay.

JEM, have you looked at their super charger? You could have a SHO 450!

Yep, I have seen that.  That is a little toooooooo exotic, not to mention expensive, for my blood!  LOL  Then, I would have to cough up the entrance fees for the boat races!  It just keeps adding up........

50 minutes ago, JEM said:

Yep, I have seen that.  That is a little toooooooo exotic, not to mention expensive, for my blood!  LOL  Then, I would have to cough up the entrance fees for the boat races!  It just keeps adding up........

Can the transom handle the extra horsepower ?  There’s got to be a reason the manufacturers have a h/p rating on the hull ....

1 minute ago, HoneyB said:

Quick question , what does the nizpro tune offer over Simon Motorsport?

I'm ignorant to Simon Motorsport, so I can not answer that. I only looked at Nizpro because I was checking out their super charger kit.

49 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

Can the transom handle the extra horsepower ?  There’s got to be a reason the manufacturers have a h/p rating on the hull ....

Yep.  That and the question of insurance are two other serious considerations.  Hydro Tec is actually selling the ECU and the programmer where you can program your own ECU.  You can go up some or a lot and back down to stock anytime you want to.  Pretty slick.  You can then program other boats, or split the cost with buddies and spread the expense.   I think it's about $1400.

dcathey, I spoke with Brian at Ft. Meyers Marine, yesterday afternoon. He said if you do not want to trailer the boat to them, take your ECU off and mail it to them, they flash it as soon as they receive it and send it back out the same day. Of course this is after they call you when it is flashed and have you pay over the phone with a credit card. The cost is $700 plus return shipping.

This morning I  received a very lengthy email from Simon, the owner and director of Nizpro Marine. I can upload it here if anyone is interested in reading it. I asked him to elaborate on the idea that the 250 SHO tune is simply the 300 tune; it is not and he explains why 1) it can't be and 2) the necessity of them to crack the Yamaha/Mitsubishi code for their super charger application and development. Of course he gives some early back ground of his time tuning and racing cars, etc.

In a nutshell, Nizpro has and can completely re-write the engine management software on the Yamaha ECU's. My concern (and he answered it without asking) was spark advance vs. throttle position vs. detonation detection. They found the multiplier in the code (it differs from the 250 to the 300) and have addressed it accordingly. The Nizpro tune is, by design, superior to other tunes in that it's an actual tune rather than simply advancing the timing or "allowing" WOT to be achieved on the throttle position sensor/throttle body.

My buddy will be sending his ECU out.  Its a F225 and they claim 320hp and better fuel economy.  The engine has 3500 hours (guide boat).  It will be sort of an experiment to see how long it stays together. 

• Like 1

I know that Simmon motor sports out of Calf . did a Yamaha F150 ECU reflash a few years ago and a consistent 1mph top end speed increase (gps)and a little better throttle response was felt . We did not have the rev limiter RPM raised and we had to use 91 octane gas . At the time this was done DBR Bush racing and Simmon did the Yamaha F150 reflash and hydro tech said they did not do the f150 because they didn’t see any performance gains with the f150 from the reflash . 

Wayne Worthy ay HT May be able to give you some ECU real world numbers . Isn’t SimmonsMotor Sports in Calf and Nizpro’s ECU reflash both done by the same person ?  

10 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

My buddy will be sending his ECU out.  Its a F225 and they claim 320hp and better fuel economy.  The engine has 3500 hours (guide boat).  It will be sort of an experiment to see how long it stays together. 

Simon ended his email to me stating that they have had zero Yamaha mechanical failures in testing their supercharger, and are currently making over 550 H.P. with it in testing. And that 330 H.P. out of their tune is "simply not an issue".

I have attached a detailed dyno chart showing stock versus tuned. Keep in mind the 4.2 liter SHO from 200-250 all end up  making the same power. I would think that Nizpro calls it a 320 H.P. tune because they can almost guarantee that in every application. Their pull may have been in perfect conditions, indoors, low humidity, etc.

SM USA Tune v Nizpro 332. v2.pdf

I have a naive question. If it’s simply a computer tune why don’t manufacturers do this from the get go?  Surely they have the ability to or even buy the programming.  Then they could market a 320hp motor that’s the size and weight as 200 hp? 

I messed around with some of the tuning on my diesel truck as did a lot of my buddies. Maybe just coincidence, but it always seemed the wilder the tune, the more issues that truck had...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, justfish said:

I have a naive question. If it’s simply a computer tune why don’t manufacturers do this from the get go?  Surely they have the ability to or even buy the programming.  Then they could market a 320hp motor that’s the size and weight as 200 hp? 

I messed around with some of the tuning on my diesel truck as did a lot of my buddies. Maybe just coincidence, but it always seemed the wilder the tune, the more issues that truck had...

Regulations on all sides. First boat company’s can not allow 300hp on small 20 foot boats so they have to have less horse power motors.

EPA also regulates how many of each hp unit they sell. When I say regulates I do not mean they tell them how many they can sell. Once the manufacture reports out on how many of each were produced they can’t be altered by Yamaha. One can not walk into his Yamaha parts guy and buy a 300 ecm to put on his 200 hp motor. 

The 200 SHO is designed or at least is able to run off 87 octane, where the 225 and 250  (due to a more aggressive timing curve) require 89 octane or above. The other thing Yamaha has written into their code on these engine is they do not see true WOT. A couple of "tuners" simply grab the throttle position map and that's all they do, allow the throttle body to go WOT. When this I done on the 250 SHO, it makes around 286 H.P. When looking at the torque curve on the dyno, it is obvious that the factory tune pulls or reduces timing right around 3400 RPM, as torque falls flat on it's face. The Nizpro tune has a slight drop around 3200 RPM, but doesn't fall below stock, and then at 3400 RPM it climbs and levels off at 4000 RPM and is table top flat to 4700 RPM, then peaks at 4950 RPM....I would guess this is due to simply allowing the spark to advance with the engine speed rather than drop off and be sufficient to simply fire the fuel/air. As long as you run quality fuel and don't over rev the engine (which you won't with it bumped to 6400 rev limit). There's no reason to see any problem. This is no different than your dad or grandpa ordering that 69 Camaro with a set of headers, intake and carb. in the trunk....and throwing a set of light springs in the distributor.

As for comparing the tunes between a diesel and gas engine, that's further apart than apples and oranges, which at least both grow on a tree.

Oh....The F-300 does see true WOT in its program and it makes 29X H.P. from the factory.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, justfish said:

I don't think you will get an honest answer out of Yamaha.  From what I've read.. the 4.2L Yamaha SHO engines are identical besides the ECU.  They all have identical bore and stroke.  Why don't they specify that they are all the same?  I have no idea.  My guess is for coast guard ratings and for sales.