MA 18.5 vs Action Craft 1890

FLAggie

Been in the market for purchase of my first Flats Boat.  Have narrowed it down to the MA 18.5 and AC 1890.  I have heard excellent things about both boats regarding build quality, ride, draft and ability to handle chop.  Would be interested to hear response from members which have had knowledge or experience with both boats and their opinions on both boats.  Significant differences between the AC and MA?  Also, if any members were trying to decide during their buying decision between these two boats, which factors persuaded them to choose the MA over the AC.

I've owned a 99 MA17 for many years, extremely dry hull. The times I've fished in an Action Craft I always got sprayed, even on good days. I've also fished out of very old Mirages which were dryer than the larger ACs. The MA 18.5 is a very nice skiff. Hands down hold out for a Maverick! Like they say, test each one and "let the ride decide".

You're obviously going to get some biased feedback here.  I was looking at both boats too.  

What struck me about the MA was the sharp 'V' in the bow.  After having the boat for 2.5 years, I can tell you that I grin every time I use it.  The ride and performance is remarkable for an 18 ft boat.  When you get a bit of wind chop coming in, just add a bit of trim tab and you can pretty much set your drink on the console - that sharp bow eats up the chop.  Needless to say I couldn't be happier with my boat.

Good luck with your decision and shopping.

Cheers,

Bud

Archived