Older hull recommendations for Tampa Bay

Foulhook

6 hours ago, Foulhook said:

I think I agree, MA seems like similar draft to what I have and a heavier boat than I would like. I'm confused though about the HP/Mirage/Mirage 2 hulls.

If you think you are going skinny....check out the older HPX-T hulls...Capt DonH and I used to fish his in Choko for years when I was between boats....you can pick up at 2001-05 for about 12-14K...

or, again, in lieu of the tailfisher, again, the Pathfinder 17's are around for $8-10K, and they hold their values.....meaning, the 1999-2001's usually are pretty basic and can be used for what you are considering....just a couple more ideas....

dc

Thanks. Yes, I am starting to lean that way. Get a Tunnel, fish the heck out of it for a couple of years until I can get an HPX-V. The Pathfinders for sale right now are in the same ballpark as the HPX-Ts out there. Given same price, I assume the HPX tunnel is a better option? 

2 hours ago, Foulhook said:

Given same price, I assume the HPX tunnel is a better option? 

Yes, you dont' get beat up as bad in a chop....

If you look, you can find a PF17 for about $8K...from time to time....same as the older Tunnels...$11-14K....with some DIY work...a nicer boat like seen above is in the upper price range for a 2003....

DC

3 minutes ago, Coto said:

I think a 40 is to under powered...a 2 stroke 115 on an hpxv is awesome. Benny Blanco had one with a 115 and that thing was a rocket ship and it was lighter than the yammie 90 4 stroke I had on mine. My choice would be for the 115.

I meant 70! Sorry. I'm concerned about the transom, hull, wear on a 1997 hull. I'm also concerned about a 2003 115 2-stroke, which could run for years or weeks. I guess both are a gamble.

I also like the older style hewes type poling platform in the back. It gives you more usable fishing space on the aft deck compared to the tower I had where all four legs were on the deck. Good use of space, props for the guy who thought that one out.

Yeah, the platform threw me off at first but I agree, it frees up some deck space. I am really happy with the choice. I ran across the Bay last week in a pretty solid sea breeze chop and I was amazed at how well this 17' skiff rode. Dry and pretty comfortable. Basically everything electrical on the boat was trash, so I have rewired the tabs, power pole, lights and trolling motor this week. Guy didn't know how to take care of anything but no big deal, all stuff I can tinker with in the evenings and fix on the cheap.

Archived