Sign in to follow this  
fin-addict

LENCO TRIM TABS

brothers new to him 2002 2200v's trim tabs are not working at all. mechanics says no power to rocker switches and cannot find black box or where the wiring from the switches go. any help would be appreciated, I say look for another mechanic. 4hrs into this already :susel:

Start at the fuse block with the fuse.

It probably doesn't have a black box, that would be downstream of the switches anyway.

In 4hrs you could completely rewire the tabs.

And the switch panel.

As a guess if he is working on it at all, he has pulled a few wires off the switches and has no idea where they go.

The switches reverse the positive and negative feeds to make the tabs go up and down.

quick check have him cut the wire coming from the tab a ways in from the tab there will be two wires touch the two leads to the positive & negative post on the battery if it sparks it is the acuator if it does not the tab will move then it is either the fuse, open wires (from both tabs)to switch or the switch itself. Does not require a mechanic as I am not one but have troubleshot this myself & replaced 2 actuators & 1 switch. FYI not sure of the mechanic but i would find a new one my 2 cents

FIN-ADDICT

mechanics says no power to rocker switches and cannot find black box or where the wiring from the switches go.

There is no black-box,,,, and that certainly wasn't much of a mechanic if he didn't know that!!!

The two rocker switches (double-pole, double-throw, momentary-on/off/momentary-on) are wired in a rather complex manner but is nothing that even a shade-tree electrician/mechanic couldn't figure out...

The power supply wires leading from each of these two switches are red and green from one switch and blue and yellow from the other... These two sets of wires are, in turn butt-spliced to a black and a white wire (usually in the bilge area).....

I would venture to say that 70%-80% of trim tab failures are because of these butt-splices failing due to salt-water intrusion and corrosion...

I'm just a rookie but I could completely rewire a complete trim-tab system in a Pathfinder in less than a couple of hours!!! Like Dino says,,,,, that mechanic is a rip-off artist...

LencoPFSwitchesSchematic0001-1.jpg

*** Here is a drawing of the switch wiring arrangement ***

Lenco1-A-B_zps3e493559.jpg

*** This drawing shows the Lenco Actuators wiring scheme ***

---------<" ){{{{{><