LENCO TRIM TABS

fin-addict

quick check have him cut the wire coming from the tab a ways in from the tab there will be two wires touch the two leads to the positive & negative post on the battery if it sparks it is the acuator if it does not the tab will move then it is either the fuse, open wires (from both tabs)to switch or the switch itself. Does not require a mechanic as I am not one but have troubleshot this myself & replaced 2 actuators & 1 switch. FYI not sure of the mechanic but i would find a new one my 2 cents

FIN-ADDICT

mechanics says no power to rocker switches and cannot find black box or where the wiring from the switches go.

There is no black-box,,,, and that certainly wasn't much of a mechanic if he didn't know that!!!

The two rocker switches (double-pole, double-throw, momentary-on/off/momentary-on) are wired in a rather complex manner but is nothing that even a shade-tree electrician/mechanic couldn't figure out...

The power supply wires leading from each of these two switches are red and green from one switch and blue and yellow from the other... These two sets of wires are, in turn butt-spliced to a black and a white wire (usually in the bilge area).....

I would venture to say that 70%-80% of trim tab failures are because of these butt-splices failing due to salt-water intrusion and corrosion...

I'm just a rookie but I could completely rewire a complete trim-tab system in a Pathfinder in less than a couple of hours!!! Like Dino says,,,,, that mechanic is a rip-off artist...

LencoPFSwitchesSchematic0001-1.jpg

*** Here is a drawing of the switch wiring arrangement ***

Lenco1-A-B_zps3e493559.jpg

*** This drawing shows the Lenco Actuators wiring scheme ***

---------<" ){{{{{><

• 4 years later...

I did a retrofit to eliminate the Pathfinder trim tab switch setup. The rocker switches just aren’t waterproof and they’re a pain to replace. I bought a Lenco LED integral switch and controller and installed them in the same hole as the factory switches. The Pathfinder trim plate works great with a piece of 1/4” starboard custom fit to make a 2-1/8” round hole. Cut a rectangular piece of starboard as a backing plate to cover the back side of the square hole in the console. Original wires are disconnected and rewired to the Lenco controller. I now have reliable switches, LED trim indicators and auto trim tab retract.

F0DAF938-0D3F-4B8B-AE13-93F39F42E523.jpeg

56166F32-5190-4CF4-BF67-6E78FAC54E61.jpeg

EC4BF615-8BD8-4434-8AA6-743A27FE2538.jpeg

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:39 PM, Tiki Bay Fishing said:

I did a retrofit to eliminate the Pathfinder trim tab switch setup. The rocker switches just aren’t waterproof and they’re a pain to replace. I bought a Lenco LED integral switch and controller and installed them in the same hole as the factory switches. The Pathfinder trim plate works great with a piece of 1/4” starboard custom fit to make a 2-1/8” round hole. Cut a rectangular piece of starboard as a backing plate to cover the back side of the square hole in the console. Original wires are disconnected and rewired to the Lenco controller. I now have reliable switches, LED trim indicators and auto trim tab retract.

Nice job.  Clean custom install

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2018 at 8:39 PM, Tiki Bay Fishing said:

Necrobump, but that is a great job neighbor!  I'm troubleshooting a "no power" situation on my trim tabs and was going to replace the switches.  I'm going this route for sure.

• 1 month later...

This happened yesterday. Anyone have a good suggestion for removing the screws from the hull on the old bracket besides just putting an impact driver on them? I'm concerned about breaking the screws off in the hull and what to do if that happens. Tips or trick appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_5168.jpg

• 1 month later...

From the photo it looks like the screws sheared off ,because the trim tab isn't connected to anything. Is this correct or am I missing something.  I'm sorry no one has offered any help  I have 2 flats boats a Maverick and a Hewes light tackle so I know the rear end of these boats. Neither of my boats has an indentation where the hydraulic fits on your boat .  Are these recessed tabs?  

Maybe someone else will speak up. 

1 minute ago, polliwog said:

From the photo it looks like the screws sheared off ,because the trim tab isn't connected to anything. Is this correct or am I missing something.  I'm sorry no one has offered any help  I have 2 flats boats a Maverick and a Hewes light tackle so I know the rear end of these boats. Neither of my boats has an indentation where the hydraulic fits on your boat .  Are these recessed tabs?  

Maybe someone else will speak up. 

I think I have it figured out. It's tough to tell from the picture but the trim tab is tack welded to the hinge which is screwed to the hull. The welds popped and I was left with the hinge still screwed to the bottom of the hull. I was really concerned that the screws were put in with 5200 or something and that they would break while pulling them out.

Long story short after several calls between Lenco and Maverick I figured out that Lenco had a special part number for Maverick. This was after I had already ordered the standard 9x9 from Lenco, installed it only to figure out it wasn't 100% correct when I went to bolt it to the ram. Right now I have it functional and am waiting for Lenco to get me exact match.

Side note: I have never been in a worse riding boat than an 18HPX-V that is missing a trim tab. 😆

Not sure what Hewes you have but I have a buddy that has a 18 Redfisher CAD hull with a 150 that HAS to have tab all the time, I had a 18' Lappy that almost never needed tab. The Maverick I find only needs a touch of tab but I only have a 115, Trolling motor and 2 batteries in the front which reduces the need for tab.

The reason it rode so bad when I lost the tab is because the blade is recessed into the hull so it changes the running surface on one side. Basically it causes the boat to list heavily to the side the tab is missing from and porpoises BAD, even with zero trim. To offset that I trimmed the motor all the way down and put the only tab I could down a touch which made the list worse to get home. Fortunately it was only ~6-7 miles.

Once I got the tab back on it is back to the ride you expect from a Maverick. Just waiting on the exact match from Lenco right now.

IMG_5167.jpg

My Hewes is a 20FT LT and I run with no tab deployment unless I have to slow down for wave conditions to keep the bow down to drive through the chop. BTW my HPX V is a little 15fter with 40HP and likes to porpoise if I run under 20mph ,a little tab gets it under control.

I am pleased by the ride in both boats although the LT can be a little wet in a cross wind and wave action