[Updated 3/16/2014]1989 Permit restoration

slapdud

We have had some pretty nasty weather here in Virginia lately but I did manage to start some grinding on those stringer in prep for some weather that permits laying fibergl***. Next step is to roll the hull over to sand all of the automotive paint off in prep for some new gelcoat.

i wish i had a few good answers, and i'm not that dumb with stuff... , but i've never been that deep into one of these boats before (i'm coasting around on the build quality)... :)

the others will chime in soon enough

check out RipTide's build... a lot of good info on how to rework that deck, and get that cap back on properly.

one really good source of boat building info, in my opinion, is the cl***ic mako forum. those guys have always been cool, even with non-mako boats.

anyway, good luck with the resto. post a lot more pics, please. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The stringers and battery boxes were poured with 4lb foam and laminated with 1708 biaxial cloth. I am glad that I decided to remove the cap because the unseen damage was pretty extensive.

I have learned quite a bit during this restoration as I have never laid fibergl*** or shot gel coat. The amount of sanding required to level gel coat is enough to make any man go crazy.

The boat is almost complete, I just need to finish leveling and polishing the deck, mount the jack plate, engine, trim tabs and rig her.

Bloch, I used most of the original holes in the hull. Someone had had the rubrail off of this boat before and added a dozen or more holes that were not needed. The aluminum in the rail was badly oxidized so I installed new aluminum flat stock and pre drilled and countersunk all of the holes as I went. I set the cap down to ensure that it would sit properly and lifted it to put a bead of 5200 on the hull and in the cap and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Once I set the cap back down I fastened it to the hull using 1/4 20 stainless pan heads and nylock nuts. Installing the rubrail was by far the biggest pain in the rear because it needs to be stretched. A lesson in rub rail, attach a few fasteners in the stern on both sides and then pull the rub rail over the bow and attach one in the center of the bow, then you can work down the port and starboard sides.

Archived