Trailer fail

johnd

Local ramp less than a mile from home, so generally don’t carry tools or spare parts.  In August completed west coast trip, so had recently greased bearings, etc.  Coming home from ramp heard a loud clicking sound followed by watching my tire pass me.  This is not a good thing.  Quickly got to side trying to get to sidewalk, but as I slowed trailer dug into dirt.  Things to add to my tool box: 4x4s and 6x6’s and more blocks of wood and a small shovel.   Got it dug out, jacked up.  Hub and bearings fine, the 6 lug nuts had sheared off!  New hub, wheel fine & back on.  Fender trashed.  

Fortunately on a small local road and only going 30 mph.  This would have been horrible on the interstate.  

Wow.. yeah glad it happened low speed.  Had a similair issue happen to me few years back but my how hub and tire came off.  Pretty sure it was my error as I had recently done the bearings for the 1st time on that axle and it had a wierd axle but retainer system and I guess I didnt get it right.  Made sure the new one had the trusty castle nut and cotter

Hub does not need to lock up to shear or break the studs. 

I had both wheels come off on a tanker trailer I was pulling up in Kentucky a couple years ago. The lug nuts were loose and after around a couple thousand miles they started coming off and the wheel vibration snapped all 10 of the studs off. 

Luckily both wheels went their separate way and off into the woods. 

The hub did NOT lock up.  Bearings fine (had greased just a few weeks ago).  Best guesses 1) rust  2) over tight  3)under tight.   I have no idea what the cause was, however have purchased 2 new hubs and will replace both and save the one I put on as an emergency spare.  Then remove the trashed fender and hope to replace.  

my tool box has paper towels, grease for gun, gun, 4 way, large screw driver, jack, needle nose and standard pliers,  wire and stuff to fix a light, some 2x6's.  Adding 4x4's and maybe 6x6's, small shovel.  

Archived