What is Practical Limit On HP on a 22V

Mike45q

I have a 2003  Pathfinder 22v re-powered with a 2015 200 SHO. My boat was originally for 225HP but later models were rerated for 250HP.  No I am not going to do it because I am still under warranty but I see other sites people are Flashing there ECM to get over 300HP. Now I see Nizpro is selling a Superchager that takes the HP up to 450. Besides the obvious insurance issue can the boat safely handle that much additional HP.  No more weight on the transom  but "forces" have to be significantly increased. Just Curious. I know the Bass Boat guys are a different breed  but?

I’m one of the few on here that will say... Heck ya! Go for it!  I agree it may be a better question for Scream and Fly or BBC forum.  Most guys here run glued to the water powertechs and minimal HP.  Post the results if you do it.  

PS... a Pathfinder does not have a running pad so it may get a little squirley at high speed.  

That's a topic that will get plenty of different opinions .... I'm sure Pathfinder stamps a horsepower on their data plate that is determined to be safe for the hull design and weight capacity. 

Now...with that said....people do all kinds of crazy things with horsepower on boats , cars and trucks.  

Dale Earnhardt once said ....put $ in it that you can afford....because " the more money you put in it...the faster it will go". 

I always go with max HP however I don’t do it because I am trying to have the fastest Pathfinder around. I do it because the added power and torque make all the difference in the world when I am loaded heavy for fishing. Three guys, full live wells, coolers loaded up, gas tank topped off, and fishing gear. The added HP is greatly needed and appreciated in these circumstances. I am all about how slow I can maintain keeping the boat on plane and not sliding or blowing out in the turns, not top speed. My boat with a 250  rarely sees speeds above 40mph. However it is nice to have the ability to run in the  50’s if I have to outrun a storm occasionally. 

2 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

a Pathfinder does not have a running pad so it may get a little squirley at high speed

Good point.  Horsepower and speed are definitely fun to play with, but the 22V hull was not designed for high performance, like a go-fast bass boat.  If you decide to take that leap, IMO, you should have all the gadgets for ride adjustment at your disposal - jack plate, nose-cone water pickup, torque tab adjusted on LU, vertical fins on trim tabs, maybe even a stabilizer plate with vertical fins (like the BMS True Tracker, or Permatrim hydrofoil).  Chine walking on a hull without a pad, that gets out of control, can be hazardous to your health.

No I really am not looking at doing it. Yes I would like to have a 250 or 225 instead of the 200 I have but that is just have a little extra power for the few times I really would need it.  I cruise 30-35 depending on conditions and top out just under 50. Maybe after the warranty expires update ECM to 250 with a new, used  or flashed ECM. I will leave the 300HP plus to the younger guys and Bass Boats crowd. Again just a curiosity question. 

I had a 2003 2200V with SHO 225. With just me it would run 60-61 on GPS with a 19p 3 blade prop. Prop was a Stiletto I believe. When I first got it I was on this forum and it was stated many times that the transoms on those older boats couldn't handle much more torque than the 225's gave. If you choose to up the HP you probably should have the transom reinforced along with some of the other ideas listed above. Be a shame to watch 25K in motor sink as the transom comes apart.

Archived