Irrigation motor muff

Fishician

42 minutes ago, triplec said:

I've only heard this, haven't tried it myself - but with a tank, you can add vinegar to the water to dissolve the salt deposits in the motor's cooling system.  Rinse the motor off afterward because vinegar is acidic.

I use a collapsible flush bag from amazon , doesn’t take up much room like a non collapsible tank , I have had it a little over a year and it does the job .  I run the motor 10 - 15 mins and add a little soap to help flush everything out . They are not cheap but has worked well . 

20 minutes ago, mulligan said:

I have the same tub as the one above for my VZ250 which has the low water pickup so normal muffs don't work.  For the smaller gearcases I had I used a 55gal drum cut in half.  I still have the half drum if you want it.

Those collapsible bags look nice.

If I had room to store a tub I could of saved some money and not bought a collapsible bag but my garage has been shrinking a few inches every year for a long time I am out of room . 

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:01 AM, dabear said:

I use a collapsible flush bag from amazon , doesn’t take up much room like a non collapsible tank , I have had it a little over a year and it does the job .  I run the motor 10 - 15 mins and add a little soap to help flush everything out . They are not cheap but has worked well . 

I also use the collapsible bag and although it uses more water than muffs like the fact that you can add vinegar or salt away and let it circulate. I rinse thourghly also.

6 minutes ago, polliwog said:

What are the issues with regular muffs that most people use? I have used muffs on everything from a 40hp 4 stroke to 150 HP 2 and 4 stroke as well as 90hp 2 stroke.  I run the engine for 10 minutes and I'm done.  My 150 2 stroke lasted for over 20yrs. 

No issues.  On certain motors with the low water pickups, like the SHO motors, you can't use the regular muffs.

Just for curiosity,don't all modern motors have the hose hock up to flush?  I have a new 150 that I leave in the water  so my only option is the hose hookup.  It runs through the head and flushes.  I know it would be better to run muffs,but some of us have a slip.  BTW my old 150 Vmax lasted 20yrs  with no flushing 

Archived