Hatch seal dimensions

Waterman18

Just replaced mine. The front three hatches are a little bigger than the ones on the back. I can't remember the exact size but I measured carefully with a tape that reads in 1/16's. Then get the closest size. You will have to try and make the bubble part round again when measuring. Btw those are not the correct ones you have pictured. I'll see if I can post the correct ones. 

Use style A

https://www.mcmaster.com/door-weatherstripping

I found my order 3/16 edge x 5/8 wide for front 3/16 x 7/16 for back 

1 hour ago, Miss Jazzy said:

Just replaced mine. The front three hatches are a little bigger than the ones on the back. I can't remember the exact size but I measured carefully with a tape that reads in 1/16's. Then get the closest size. You will have to try and make the bubble part round again when measuring. Btw those are not the correct ones you have pictured. I'll see if I can post the correct ones. 

Use style A

What sealant did you use ? 

On 9/9/2018 at 5:21 PM, Miss Jazzy said:

Use style A

Jazzy how many feet did you order to redo all the hatches on a 22'?

A couple thing to consider before ordering. 

I replaced some of my seals a few years ago on my Master Angler and used type A from McMaster. Although the advertised dimensions matched the original seals, I found that the compressed height was not thick enough. The thickness of the top of the channel plus two times the bulb wall thickness was less than the original seal compressed height. Therefore it did not support the hatch lids at the correct height. Fixed it by putting foam backer rod inside the bulb which gave it enough compressed height to work. 

Also, in McMaster, notice that type A and others have an EDPM foam bulb and a vinyl rubber grip; two different materials. In my experience the bulb and the grip tend to separate anytime someone leans or pushes slightly on the seal. I am constantly super gluing sections of bulb to the grip.

My original seals, and some of the other types listed in McMaster, have an EDPM bulb and grip. They are co-extruded so the bulb and grip will not separate. The top of the grip channel on the co-extruded types seem to be thicker which increases the compressed height.

I've looked off and on over the years and still haven't found a seal as good as the originals.    

19 hours ago, FROZEN said:

Jazzy,

I’m having a hard time finding the seals in the M/C catalog link you kindly provided. Any way you could give me a part number so I can get close to the right one?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.mcmaster.com/door-weatherstripping    Click edge seals, then 

Water- and Weather-Resistant Hollow Foam
Rubber Push-On Seals   Then style A

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 9:38 PM, wthree3 said:

A couple thing to consider before ordering. 

I replaced some of my seals a few years ago on my Master Angler and used type A from McMaster. Although the advertised dimensions matched the original seals, I found that the compressed height was not thick enough. The thickness of the top of the channel plus two times the bulb wall thickness was less than the original seal compressed height. Therefore it did not support the hatch lids at the correct height. Fixed it by putting foam backer rod inside the bulb which gave it enough compressed height to work. 

Also, in McMaster, notice that type A and others have an EDPM foam bulb and a vinyl rubber grip; two different materials. In my experience the bulb and the grip tend to separate anytime someone leans or pushes slightly on the seal. I am constantly super gluing sections of bulb to the grip.

My original seals, and some of the other types listed in McMaster, have an EDPM bulb and grip. They are co-extruded so the bulb and grip will not separate. The top of the grip channel on the co-extruded types seem to be thicker which increases the compressed height.

I've looked off and on over the years and still haven't found a seal as good as the originals.    

How did you feed the backer rod in? Even using the 5/8" the 1/4" backer rod seems like it would be difficult to feed it through with only and guessed 1/16" play

Archived