Horrible Boating Accident

Wanaflatsfish

8 minutes ago, mulligan said:

X2

Sure it is nice to just to slap it into gear but why not put a neutral lock on the binnacle?  I'm pretty sure my old Evinrude had one.

But can you imagine the fun trying to dock in a raging current with some kind of neutral lock?

It was a horrible, terrible accident!  But it was an accident.

A nearly identical accident happened to one of my friends and work partners this summer in Greece. He was on a rental boat with his two teenage sons and step-son. His 15 year old son fell off the front of the boat when they hit a wave. My friend was at the helm, but immediately hit his son.  He dove into the water to bring his son back on board, but I believe he died almost immediately. It’s impossible to imagine how horrific that would be for him and the other two boys. 

Since then, every time I’ve seen a boat go by, maybe a little too fast, and with family or friends up in the bow, I think about how quickly things can turn very badly. 

Prayers to the family.....Yep see folks with their kids riding over the bow rail with the feet hanging over the side and cringe.  FWC does a pretty good job of policing it because we have so much idle zone around us here.

Story has been in the news a week here in Ft. Meyers, hopefully his loss will not be in vain and others can learn a very hard lesson from it.

Archived