Possibly moving to Miami area, looking for local knowledge on where to live.

CG RYAN

Hey guys. I may be moving to the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area in the near future and am looking for options on places to house hunt. My wife has asked around and most recommendations are for Cooper City, Davie, Pembroke Pines and Plantation area. If I go I will be working in Opa Locka and realize that living there is not an option. With three kids our main priority is good schools and of course the second is good fishing. I’m hoping that some of you southeast Florida guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance! 

Ahhhh.......Air Station Miami. Back in 1986 I went there, turned my head and coughed and the next thing you know I was in Cape May! Driving from Broward into Opa-Locka or even from Homestead is a battle. I have a few friends who rent houses in my neighborhood so when you know for sure let us know. Good schools, in the middle of everything, but actually really quiet, it is called West Wood Lakes. No matter where you are in Miami you are close to good fishing. 

I moved to the Miami area 20 years ago. The fishing, diving, and boating are fantastic. Cultural differences abound so get ready for it. Most disagreements stem from the difficulty citizens have communicating with one another. Many different languages are spoken. Obviously, your top priority is finding a safe neighborhood with good schools. Private schools are very expensive down here (($15,000 and up per year, per student). Since you have 3 kids you definitely should find a neighborhood where your children can attend a good public school. Good public schools exist throughout the area, but real estate prices in those districts will reflect that fact.  I CANNOT OVEREMPHASIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF LIVING AS CLOSE TO YOUR WORKPLACE AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN. THE TRAFFIC IN THE GREATER MIAMI/FORT LAUDERDALE IS UNBELIEVABLY BAD AND THE DRIVERS ARE THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET. A poor choice of neighborhoods can easily result in a DAILY 3 hour round trip commute to work. If you or a family member own a smart phone, I suggest you open the "Maps" feature with traffic display "On" and shift the map down to Miami at 8AM on a work day. This should give you a pretty good idea of the traffic jams which are a part of the daily commute down here. The same thing goes on in reverse starting at 3PM. I live 18 miles south of downtown Miami. I can drive there at midnight in 30 minutes. If I drive there between 6AM and 10:30 AM on a work day, it will take me 1 hour and 40 minutes (assuming there are no accidents blocking the route). You should also consider traffic flow directions relative to your workplace. Often times you can find a neighborhood located in a direction opposite of the regular commuter flows relative to your workplace (ie. everyone is headed south in the morning so you locate yourself so that your workplace is north of where you live.) Local public marinas are well kept and generally convenient. They are extremely crowded on weekends. If you launch at daybreak, you can usually beat the crowd. If you must use the public ramps on the weekends, bring along a lot of patience.  I try to use the public ramps on weekdays if I can. There are a lot of fast boats running around down here, so add a frequent look astern to your normal scan while you're out.

Plantation is a beautiful City with good schools and safe neighborhoods available.  Maybe some Broward guys can chime in with helpful suggestions.

Just be aware that car insurance is the highest in the State, property taxes are higher, and traffic is the pits at rush hour.  There are guys that steal Yamaha 4 stroke boats.. who live real close.

On the plus side, the location is convenient to the Keys, West Coast and the Gulfstream off Lauderdale..

Marc

15 hours ago, CG RYAN said:

Hey guys. I may be moving to the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area in the near future and am looking for options on places to house hunt. My wife has asked around and most recommendations are for Cooper City, Davie, Pembroke Pines and Plantation area. If I go I will be working in Opa Locka and realize that living there is not an option. With three kids our main priority is good schools and of course the second is good fishing. I’m hoping that some of you southeast Florida guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance! 

I am a Miami native and have lived from Miami Shores to Hollywood to now Plantation....

I have been married to a Cubanita for over 40 years and I love the Latin Culture of Miami....and NO you don't need to be angry or learn Spanish...I happen to be fluent having travelled to over 20 countries  and lived in Latin America over the last 30 years...the influence of the Brazil, Cuba, Colombia, and other countries (more Latin America than Mexico) has made South Florida a diverse area with great food and a very good worth ethic.....

Schools are a problem and private are out of reach - $10K plus for grammar schools.....but, the areas I mention below have decent schools.....you didn't mention what were the kids ages.....

Plantation is a very nice place to bring up a family....Weston is also very nice or West Sunrise....all are within 45 min to Opalocka Airport where you'll be working.

Weston area has some of the best Charter schools and a variety of neighborhoods that move from $1MM homes to normal $250+ or even rentals....it's a contained community - very latin, but, that's what makes it a great place to live.....

West Plantation has some very nice rentals as well...the problem is keeping your boat at a rental is not easy....and boat storage is at a premium....

The other option a bit farther north is Coral Springs....all will be within 1 hr of Opalocka and there are many "back-roads" to get there once you get there....

Traffic - it's part of S. Florida life.....

Happy to discuss with you further ...btw, West Broward is about 1hr15 to min to Chokoloskee and 2 hrs to the gate of Flamingo...

Send me a PM with your number and happy to chat.

dc

On 9/2/2018 at 3:31 PM, CG RYAN said:

USCG air station Clearwater/St pete.:D You can make it from my place in 40 minutes in the early am. And, you know how to fish here already.

Hey ,  Ryan  I was born and raised  in Hialeah and live there for 22 years .I knew Opa Locka very well, it's just north east of Hialeah . In mid 1960  we would hunted dove and fish the lakes there just South of Opa Locka Air port . Now  Amelia Park . We would skip Jr. high school and climb on top of the old Blimp hangers . Most of my fishing and hunting buddies moved 30 plus miles north to Davie  and Pembroke Pines area or south to the Redlands . As stated by Wanaflatsfish traffic is bad around the Miami area . I got marred  at 22 , my wife's Cuban born and has live here since she was 8 years old, We've moved to Virginia  Garden just north of MIA (airport) I'm a aviation mechanic turn NDT inspector for 35 years  . We  now live in southwest Kendall area for 20 years .  At 4:00 pm  adv  drive time is 1 hr, to MIA and additional 30 mins to Opa Locka  . The Virginia Gardens is still nice locations and they have their own Police Force. Severally my child hood friends  still live there and there kids choose to buy there and raise there families there .It would take you  30 min to drive to Opa Locka  airport from Virginia Gardens or Miami springs   Airport noise level not bad since they built the wall on 36 st  .  My kids all graduated from public schools  , And  they got out of it  , what they put in it ! All 5 have done very well for themselves  . Now as for Opa locks , it wasn't the worse place to live or work in Miami but it was 1  of the top 3 worse  . It's hasn't improved and still isn't  a place to raise kids . But You can definitely commute !    The Kendall area is nice  Schools ,Hospital  Shopping . The, Redlands area located between Homestead and Kendall has larger yards and u can keep horses . Homestead is quite and has that Small town  feeling  . But will take you and extra 35 min , drive   The Pines,  Miramar  and Davie  is also nice also nicer layout of roads etc. but they have their less preferred areas as well,.  Now for fishing it's great out of  key Biscayne ,  Flamingo iEverglades  National Park and  the upper Fl. Keys is all close by. Best to try to rent and then you can make your best choice for you and your family .And you don't need to speak Spanish . I rarely do and enjoy this great diverse  community .good luck  Oh bring ur boots an ur S - -t  Kicking Cowboy hat and your will fit right in.

Commuting in Dade and Broward all depends on shift time.  If you are a 9-5 guy it can be rough depending where you go.  If you work an earlier shift traffic isn't bad.  If I were looking I would choose Dade and would look around Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay or North Cutler Bay.  Safe towns, Good schools, close to the water and close to the keys either by car or boat.  I live in North Cutler Bay and commute to MIA everyday and have lived in Dade all my 35 years.  Every time I contemplate leaving I find a reason to stay (and no neither my wife or I speak Spanish, you'll be fine!)

Ryan

We moved out of Broward almost 15 years ago to NW Palm Beach County. I would definitely not raise kids down there anymore. It’s a lot different than it was when I grew up. My sister in law still lives in old Plantation but sent her kids to private school. My mother in law still lives there but sold her house and rents a townhouse out west. Houses are expensive, and rents are high.

We’ve done a lot of work at OPF and it’s not too bad of a commute from points North, as long as you hit the road early. Not sure how your schedule works but I would consider commuting. If you are on call for a certain amount of days, it might be worth it. I commute to my office in Ft Lauderdale everyday (when I’m not traveling), right at 60 miles. It takes me 55 minutes in the morning and about an hour and 15 minutes in the evening. It’s worth every second not to here sirens and thump bump music all night!

Archived