2300 HPS Livewell Pump Help

Atticus

So I bought a new-to-me 2012 2300 HPS back in May.  We don't usually livebait but the pump worked when we inspected the boat prior to purchase and during the first few days on the water.  Back in July the pump started making a loud noise - too loud to run it while fishing inshore.  It kind of sounded like a rock tumbler. 

On the next trip after the live noise: the pump just quit.  The pump ran first thing when were idling to get bait but then it wouldn't do anything.  The pump is a Shurflo Bait Sentry 800 (model 1700-011-030).  I went out and got a new one and replaced the pump which came to me with the boat.  We also found an older splice in the wire going to the pump which was replaced.  We checked and we were getting appropriate voltage at the spot where we wired-in the brand new.  The pump ran while the boat was in the boat barn but made the same loud noise.  When I got on the water the next day - the pump wouldn't do anything.  It wouldn't run whatsoever. 

So I am thinking I have two problems going on at once (electrical and mechanical) or maybe one overarching problem that hasn't dawned on me yet.  Coming here to you guys to see if there's anything I'm overlooking with this pump issue.  I've had the same loud noise and intermittent stoppages across two different pumps.    

It should be noted that the raw water wash down pump is supplied through the same through-hull and runs without issue.      

I have 23HPS and I have probably replaced those live well cartridges at least twice on each pump.  I had a similar issue with them starting to make noise and what I found is that the impeller shafts rust and eventually break, as that happens they get a bit loud as I think the impeller starts to rub ion the pump housing before ti fails completely.  The motors will still turn but you wont pump any water.  I always keep an extra cartridge on the boat as they are pretty easy to swap, even while out fishing.  I crimp two butt connectors on the spare and its a quick cut and crimp the new one on.

I have also replaced the breakers that are located in the glove box for various accessories.  I have had a few fail and give intermittent problems before they go.  I also keep spares of these on the boat, a 5amp, 10amp and 15 amp, ...easy to replace.  

Also make sure that the pump cartridge is installed correctly.  Its easy to get them in there a bit cockeyed, which might be making the noise with the impeller rubbing on the housing.

Not sure if either of these two things are what you have going on, figured I'd throw it out there to you just in case.

Not on my current boat but I had a 20’ pathy that I did have two fail.  The pins basically corroded away.  I keep the whole bilge area sprayed pretty well with yamaha silicone spray.  That stuff is great.  Every two uses I spray everything back there with it.   Also keep the wiring and connections under the helm we’ll sprayed.   Make sure to use the yamaha silicone spray.  It’s a bit more expensive than CRC or other brands you get at like a wal Mart, but most of them have acetone in them and over time can attack plastic and rubber.  The yamaha silicone has no acetone and you can pretty much spray it on anything.    Good stuff. Had kept things pretty corrosion free...cheap insurance....

I use to have the same squealing problem with my live-well pumps on occasion. I back washed with a garden hose from the live-well to the pumps and would find grass has wound itself around the pump shaft or impeller. Finally installed strainers and solved the problem. I do have to replace the motor cartridges about every two years.

Here's another tip that will help with pump motor life span. When you take the boat out of the water, back wash the live-well system with a garden hose. This removes the salt water and keeps it from sitting in the pumps and strainers between fishing trips. Takes less than one minute to flush two systems.

• 2 weeks later...

If you remove the pump cartridge from the pump housing and turn it on... does it run fine? no sound? But then when you insert the pump back into the housing it makes noise?

Like someone else mentioned, make sure it's going in perfectly straight. They are designed so the impeller is very very close to the internal housing to create the pressure needed. If it's not straight it can rub the inside of the housing and make noise. If both pumps run fine outside of the housing, but both make noise when inserted it could be that the housing is bent/broke, etc. 

And... it's always possible that there's a piece of something (rock/stick, etc.) stuck in the intake. When you run the pump out of the water it doesn't make any noise. When you put the boat in the water the pressure of the water pushes the object up the hole and into the pump housing? Long shot... but try cleaning out the lines. Use a shopvac/garden hose/air compressor to clear the lines.

Josh B.

I always carry a spare bait pump cartridge, you never know when they stop working.  I haven't found any brand that's reliable.  I bought a cheap pair of  duetch (sic) pliers so I can install a connector on the replacement pump.

It's a five minute job to replace the pump on the water without losing any bait.

Archived