Leak from livewell to bilge found

Captron904

I've had my 2011 18" Maverick about a year and a half. Noticed that I would always get some water in the bilge when the live well was full. I assumed it was splashing over the top of the livewell. Yesterday noticed the bilge pump kicking on every 10 minutes or so. Live well was full and running and had a friend fishing off the back. I found that that by him standing on the back corner of the boat, the livewell water level was high enough to reach the drain hose that drains water from inside the channel of the hatch. This is the drain under the hatch that has a 90 deg fitting with a hose that runs through the back of livewell and out to an overboard drain. Because the water level was higher, water was getting into bilge where the hose goes through the livewell. Surprised there wasn't a thru hull fitting used instead of just a hole in livewell and hose run through it. Drain is in upper left of picture

Maverick-18-HPX-Livwell-Slider-3.jpg

That problem should be solved by removing the rubber base at the bottom of the standpipe then cutting off an inch of the pipe. If you cant remove the rubber base then cut pipe just above it & replace it. Youll lose a few gallons of your livewell capacity but its a sure way to avoid the bilge from running & possibly sinking your boat!

Archived