West Marine refuses to honor manufacturer's warranty

hawg

Heads up for any of you that shop at West Marine. I bought a Shurflo Piranha 800 livewell pump about a year ago at West Marine. The label states that the pump has a 2 year warranty. The pump motor failed last week and this morning I went to back to West Marine for a warranty exchange. The clerk informed me that, since I had not purchased the West Marine Warranty on the pump, they would not exchange it for a new one. She informed me that I must return the pump to the manufacturer if I wanted it replaced on warranty. I assume this policy is intended to encourage customers to buy an extended warranty on every item they purchase at West Marine. As for me, I'll just find someone else to do business with.

Thats pretty much usual policy for any retail store unless you buy the extended warranty. When I buy my pumps I always buy the extended WM warranty because I know I’ll burn it out sooner than later. That being said, send it to sureflo with a copy of receipt and I bet they’ll send you a new one. 

Why would west marine warranty a part they don't manufacture? I remember my first livewell pump failure....lol. Manufacture warranty to west marine warranty, two different deals. Don't think you will get treated better at B.O.W or bass pro. I work at a ford dealer and people think because they buy a used honda on a ford lot that has base coverage they can bring it to a ford store and have an engine installed under warranty. Live and learn. 

To utilize the manufacturers warranty you need to contact the manufacturer, west marine has nothing to do with that.  I chose to get the west marine protection plan the first time I replaced the pump.... bought 2 replacements that way Id always have a good one on hand.  The next time one died I got a free exchange been doing that since 2012 just had to pay the $8 to renew the replacement plan every 2 years.... Im getting about 1.5 yrs outta the pumps.

In "the old days" reputable retailers stood by every product they sold. I choose to buy from local businesses because I expect to pay more for their product and I expect them to provide service for the extra price that I pay. If this is the best West Marine can do, I might as well buy it on e-bay (for much less) where I have no expectation of ever seeing or hearing from the merchant again. If I buy a Yamaha engine from the local dealer and it fails during the warranty period, I don't expect him to tell me that I have to send it to Kennesaw, Georgia to get it fixed because I didn't buy "the dealers" warranty.

Right or wrong, if you get the extended warranty at WM, they cover the manufacturers warranty in house, it is what it is. I’ve even had some issues when my 740 took a dump with the extended warranty, they wanted to send it to garmin for testing and blah blah blah, only reason their tune changed is when they saw I bought it on a port supply account for the city I worked for, a city that spends thousands there, otherwise I think I was screwed.

1 hour ago, hawg said:

In "the old days" reputable retailers stood by every product they sold. I choose to buy from local businesses because I expect to pay more for their product and I expect them to provide service for the extra price that I pay. If this is the best West Marine can do, I might as well buy it on e-bay (for much less) where I have no expectation of ever seeing or hearing from the merchant again. If I buy a Yamaha engine from the local dealer and it fails during the warranty period, I don't expect him to tell me that I have to send it to Kennesaw, Georgia to get it fixed because I didn't buy "the dealers" warranty.

Actually, you can buy the extended warranty on a Yamaha from a dealer, who makes money on the sale and does the warranty work. A motor also doesn't fit in a small envelope to ship back to the manufacturer for replacement either.

West marine offers their warranty for the reason you stated. If you wanted to exchange at the retailer no questions asked, you get the west marine warranty. 

All this over a $60 livewell pump :o

8 hours ago, hawg said:

Heads up for any of you that shop at West Marine. I bought a Shurflo Piranha 800 livewell pump about a year ago at West Marine. The label states that the pump has a 2 year warranty. The pump motor failed last week and this morning I went to back to West Marine for a warranty exchange. The clerk informed me that, since I had not purchased the West Marine Warranty on the pump, they would not exchange it for a new one. She informed me that I must return the pump to the manufacturer if I wanted it replaced on warranty. I assume this policy is intended to encourage customers to buy an extended warranty on every item they purchase at West Marine. As for me, I'll just find someone else to do business with.

That’s how it is everywhere.  Buy something, last longer than 30 days, contact the manufacturer.  Probably even says it on the manual.

1 hour ago, hawg said:

Sure, OK.  Buy from amazon, and when you have a tournament and a baitwell pump goes out, order from Amazon, or eBay.  West Marine will match price, however when you need something today, brick and mortar is there for you.

13 hours ago, hawg said:

West Marine or any local store is not an Authorized repair center for Shurflo, if they were they would fix it. Walmart is not an Authorized repair center for Samsung, you wouldn't take a year old TV back to Walmart. You can't compare the repair process of a $30 pump to that of $30k motor. 

All you have to do is contact Shurflo, and they will send you a new one if the warranty is what you claim. If you need one today, go buy it from West Marine then return the warranty one Shurflo sends you. This not a West Marine, local store problem to deal with, its a Shurflo problem. 

Shurflo is your only option for warranty replacement of a pump after one year of use. Expecting a retail business to honor the warranty on any product they sell for the full duration would exhaust all profits and probably bankrupt the company in the long haul.  I think after reading all the replies you will reconsider your stance and most likely agree with everyone else.

I shop at home depot frequently and there policy is the same. Within 30-60 days (not exactly sure) they will cover the product sold in house, after that you contact the manufacturer of the item purchased and the manufacturer covers the item for whatever warranty period they offer.

As many stated above, WM has never refused a warranty claim when I have purchased the extended warranty.

I ALWAYS PURCHASE THE EXT WARRANTY for everything I purchase there that is electronic, etc.

Livewell and washdown, electronics (I bought both my Garmin and Simrad) and they honored their "internet" price guarantee and I saved about $400 for the Simrad EVO2.

It's worth the "non-hassle" to me to have this since I am a DIY'r and most of the time things break on Friday night for a Saturday trip :(

DC

Big fan of WM here... I got the entended warranty on my Xi5. Somehow I managed to fry the board (heard it pop and started to smoke despite me having an inline fuse.) and made the call for service. Since there were no auth dealers with in 50 miles, they paid me the full cost that I paid for the unit.... 

I ended up swapping out the circuit board with the one that broke on me before that one... It now works again!!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

OK, just to beat a dead horse. I packed up my failed pump and took it to the post office to mail it back to Shurflo for a warranty return. The shipping cost was $10.20 which I'm sure is much more than I would have paid to buy the West Marine in-house warranty in the first place. Lesson learned.

Archived