2019 22 TRS Engine choices

msmarsh

I have a 04 22TE and went from a 200 vmax hpdi to a F200 i4. I thought I was going to miss the get up and go of the HPDI but I’m totally happy with the F200. The performance and the fuel economy is awesome. I’m running a Powertech Ptcr 18p 3 Blade. I do not have a T top so that will make a difference though.

My 19 TRS with the 150 just came in and should be picking it up in the next couple days... I too went back and forth about the motor.  From what I have heard from pretty much everyone the 4cyl 200 is a waste of money.  The sho 200 or 250 is a different story.

The tech who water tested it said it didn't like the 3 blade... put a 4 blade on it and he got it up to 40mph with some left.  He said "its not a speed demon, but runs good and isn't under powered".

On 8/26/2018 at 10:26 AM, msmarsh said:

I know this topic is been beat to death with f150 vs f200.  Looking at a new 22 TRS with t-top and was curios why you don’t see any with 175 SHO or 200SHO?  F200 seems most popular lately but I’m a bit gun shy on it from a performance standpoint.  Thank you!

So what was the choice here? 'm in the Market for a 22 TRS OR TE and the 200SHO sounds like it is doing the job for most. I had a 250SHO on the TE before and can only say good things but hey if i can save some coin I'm all in. 

Is the 200SHO on a TE enough power? I'm not a guide just a weekend warrior.

1 hour ago, Ridding_Dirty said:

So what was the choice here? 'm in the Market for a 22 TRS OR TE and the 200SHO sounds like it is doing the job for most. I had a 250SHO on the TE before and can only say good things but hey if i can save some coin I'm all in. 

Is the 200SHO on a TE enough power? I'm not a guide just a weekend warrior.

"Enough" is the $64000 question.  And the answer can only be in the "eyes of the beholder."  When I had my F150, I was perfectly happy.  At least I didn't know I was unhappy!:D  But when I went on some fishing trips with a friend on his 2400 powered by an F300, I was ruined!   I finally hung a new 225 SHO, and now I'm REALLY happy!   

2 hours ago, JEM said:

"Enough" is the $64000 question.  And the answer can only be in the "eyes of the beholder."  When I had my F150, I was perfectly happy.  At least I didn't know I was unhappy!:D  But when I went on some fishing trips with a friend on his 2400 powered by an F300, I was ruined!   I finally hung a new 225 SHO, and now I'm REALLY happy!   

Yes....JEM is really happy because he has a 65 mph Pathfinder that requires all passengers to wear goggles. Why? You ask....all you need to do is ride with him early morning hours and feel what a gnat or deer fly feels like at 65 mph. It strongly resembles getting hit with a rock.

but....I will say....his 225 SHO is one sweet sounding, fast going Yamaha.

If I had his money and a wife 20 years younger like he does, I'd go buy me a fast boat too.

But for now....my old faithful F150 pushes my 22 about 44 mph. JJ

I have had an F150 on my Pathfinder 22 with a T-Top for 11years and am perfectly happy with my top end speed. Let me tell you why. Where I fish in the rivers , creeks and backwater of the lowcountry of SC,  getting there crossing big water can get kind of rough. In all the time I've run this boat I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone full throttle because of a more than moderate chop. For me it's not a question of more or less power, but where you are going to use the boat most of the time and the conditions.

No one said it was all about top end speed.  Time to plane (especially with a heavy load) and resale are the two biggest factors.  It’s kind of like having 4 wheel drive in a truck.  It’s doesnt automatically mean you are off-roading all the time.  The 4 wheel drive in my truck and my 250 SHO share a common trait.  They rarely get used to their full potential, but when it’s required, it’s nice to know it’s there. 

1 hour ago, gamecocks2001 said:

No one said it was all about top end speed.  Time to plane (especially with a heavy load) and resale are the two biggest factors.  It’s kind of like having 4 wheel drive in a truck.  It’s doesnt automatically mean you are off-roading all the time.  The 4 wheel drive in my truck and my 250 SHO share a common trait.  They rarely get used to their full potential, but when it’s required, it’s nice to know it’s there. 

Well said. My buddies last name is Veal, and in my circle we call it "Veal's theory on 4 wheel drive" which is, "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." I have a 4 wheel drive as well, and use it almost every time I take my boat out....it keeps me from tearing up my back yard when it's wet or damp. I also have a 250 SHO and can run 60+ at will, but I don't. I use that power to haul 6-8 people around and/or take my kid, his cousins and all their toys to the sandbar...with a grill, easy up, 2 coolers, chairs, etc. I bought it for cruise speed, low end grunt (tubing or whatever when he's older) and on occasion, getting to the fishin' hole before most folks. 

Think about 98% of what you'll use your boat for and go from there...Seems like most of the hours I see pulled from engines are idle hours and hours between 3-4000 rpm. Happy hunting! 

23 hours ago, BradM said:

Well said. My buddies last name is Veal, and in my circle we call it "Veal's theory on 4 wheel drive" which is, "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." I have a 4 wheel drive as well, and use it almost every time I take my boat out....it keeps me from tearing up my back yard when it's wet or damp. I also have a 250 SHO and can run 60+ at will, but I don't. I use that power to haul 6-8 people around and/or take my kid, his cousins and all their toys to the sandbar...with a grill, easy up, 2 coolers, chairs, etc. I bought it for cruise speed, low end grunt (tubing or whatever when he's older) and on occasion, getting to the fishin' hole before most folks. 

Think about 98% of what you'll use your boat for and go from there...Seems like most of the hours I see pulled from engines are idle hours and hours between 3-4000 rpm. Happy hunting! 

Back in the day when I had my CJ5 w/ 36” mud tires and 10” lift the joke was: Best thing about 4 wheel drive is you can get stuck where no one can come get ya.

Archived