18 MA Refurb

BrettN

I'm thinking putting some money into my 95 18' MA this winter. I'd like to get the gel coat on the deck redone to get rid of the spider cracks and restore the non skid thats been worn down. I also plan to rewire it which I'll be doing myself. And I'm considering painting the hull as well. Based on the prices I see some of these boats selling for on the internet I feel like it would be a good investment, not to mention the fact that I like nice things. If anybody has any advice or recommendations on places to do the glass and paint work or buy materials for the rewire it would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone have a clue about how much these things might run me? Thanks

On 8/25/2018 at 8:28 PM, BrettN said:

I'd like to get the gel coat on the deck redone to get rid of the spider cracks and restore the non skid thats been worn down.

Have you considered Sea Deck?  It seems to be the popular option vs spraying an entire new gelcoat which requires a lot of prep work to have it completed well.

For a price on the gelcoat - check with Bob at Inshore Marine in Pompano.  His work is flawless...and he does sea-deck as well.

WIRING - there were a few threads on the forum a while back..don't know if there is any info....but, you can keep your eyes out for close outs....

check with Flounder Pounder in Vero/Ft. Pierce....but, becareful of the type of wiring...some try and sell knock offs...

Have fun on the wiring project...

dc

Doing a restore that includes paint will not increase the value of the boat. I am not saying not to do it just do not look for it to increase your boats value.

that being said I’m all about making the boat look as good as possible. I took my rub rail off and had gel coat sprayed all the way around the cap. Mine had spider cracks from the previous owner bumping the docks hard. 

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

Doing a restore that includes paint will not increase the value of the boat. I am not saying not to do it just do not look for it to increase your boats value.

that being said I’m all about making the boat look as good as possible. I took my rub rail off and had gel coat sprayed all the way around the cap. Mine had spider cracks from the previous owner bumping the docks hard. 

Did they do anything to the spider cracks or just spray over them?

The hull painting is just something I've been thinking about but it's pretty low on the priority list. There's one section about two feet long on one side of the hull where I think the gel coat may be a bit thin and there's cracks in it. The rest of the hull is pretty good just scratched up. I'm not sure how I feel about sea Dek. I got a price to have it done on my boat for about 2k. If I could get the gel coat fixed for the same amount or less I'd definitely rather go that route. 

41 minutes ago, BrettN said:

And the whole idea of increasing the value is mostly me just looking for something to tell my wife to justify me spending more money on the boat. Apparently "cause it's bad a**" is no longer a good enough reason

Sounds like a good reason to me. 

I have done restores on a couple of Boston whalers. They look great but of corse just like with cars if you have a restored or repainted boat someone else has a pristine barn find boat of the same vintage. If you have deep scratches on the sides I would say splash some paint on there.  Topside same thing but be aware paint is much slicker than gel coat when wet so if there are flat areas that will be painted give it some thought. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The motor I've had for about a year and a half now. The jack plate is original I believe but I just bought a brand new pump/motor assembly for it then recently found out I have to buy a new ram for the jack plate as well. So it will basically be new when I get done. It has all new controls, and I'm almost done wiring and plumbing it now. Rewired, rerigged, and replumbed. Pretty much everything that functions has been replaced. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived