Expired Flares

Candle

I have asked this question before on the forum, but got no serious answers. How does one safely dispose of expired flares? I have tried the local fire department, the Power Squadron, the FWC and no one can tell me a safe method of disposal. These things are sitting in my garage like bomb ready to explode. Any serious thoughts?

Brian

1 hour ago, Big Dave said:

I put mine in the truck to use in road way emergencies.  

I use Option 2:

My neighbor is a large yacht captain and brings me bags full of all kinds of different expired flares from time to time.  I use the handheld ones to start fires at my fishing camp on the Kissimmee River. 

I keep all my expired ones with all my new ones. I don't think they will ever go bad unless they get wet. So why not have more than enough in case of a real emergency. Law says you have to have fresh ones but don't say you can't have old ones. I keep them in a waterproof bag. I will take one of the older ones out every year and shoot it to see if it works. Never had one fail. 

Check with your trash collection service - often they have "household hazardous waste" drop off locations.  

Ditto on the 4th - try practicing lighting them in complete darkness (no flashlight).  It's bit trickier especially when you haven't looked at them in a while.

Cheers,

Bud

6 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Be sure you mark them in your kit as expired

This

10 hours ago, Miss Jazzy said:

I don't think they will ever go bad unless they get wet.

You might be surprised.  Maybe I got some bad ones but I went to shot some last 4th of July and only half worked and they were NOT expired, still had a couple months left.

I liked the old ones better when you could load them in the shotgun and.....young and stupid.:D

14 hours ago, Miss Jazzy said:

I keep all my expired ones with all my new ones. I don't think they will ever go bad unless they get wet. So why not have more than enough in case of a real emergency. Law says you have to have fresh ones but don't say you can't have old ones. I keep them in a waterproof bag. I will take one of the older ones out every year and shoot it to see if it works. Never had one fail. 

As usual, having expired flares aboard (even marked) depends on the officer checking you.  A few years ago I was pulled by the USCG for a safety inspection in the St Lucie Inlet.  Everything was great until he saw my bag of expired flares.  I was told that I have no idea how dangerous that is and that in a real emergency I could easily grab those old flares and have them not work.  I didn't argue and remained calm and only got a written warning.

The best part of the story:   after the inspection was done, I asked if he could take them for me so I didnt screw up further, and he said "oh no, we dont dispose of expired flares".

Take em to the fire station and they will chase the rookies around with them

People do bring them by the fire station all the time and we will take them for training burns and stuff. But I always tell people the same thing I tell them with expired extinguishers - take them and practice with them so when TSHTF you know how they work  and aren’t trying to figure it out then....

On 8/23/2018 at 6:23 PM, Miss Jazzy said:

Don’t do that, I was informed years back.  Violates some kind of boating safety law.   Put them in a separate container and clearly mark “expired”. Then it’s ok to have on board.  But do not mix with in date ones or in your ditch bag.   I can’t remember if it was FWC or USCG, but I had both in my ditch bag and got a stern lecture.  

Archived