looking for a new tackle box

Island Style

soft side with locking trays. found the best so far and just the right size. wally world, soft side cooler, remove the insert and use trays. waterproof liner so inside does not get wet. all of 9.00. better than 50. bags I have used in the past. outside mesh pockets. zipper front pocket and zipper expandable ht if needed. zippers all the way around the top. trays stand on sides, not stacked as others. easy access. JMO 

I have tried everything under the sun....I now find that 90% of the time, I can fish with what I carry in my pockets....

Gulps, popp'n corks, some hooks, a few sinkers, some flourocarbon, and maybe a few lures....and of course, a few live shrimp :)

I've tried to keep paring down what I use and am down to what I can carry in my front hatch of the Master Angler 17 in just a few plastic locking boxes.

I also found Home Depot has some inexpensive HUSKY locking clear plastic for a reasonable price.

DC

2 hours ago, hawg said:

Whatever you choose. Pay attention to the quality and construction of the zippers. I've had 2 expensive tackle bags quickly become worthless due to zippers corroding and locking up. 

I have found that if you spray the "reel magic" spray on the zippers of soft bags, you can get 3 or 4 years out of one. I've had good luck with the white or yellow soft bags at Bass Pro , they have plastic zippers and latches and seem to last longer than the metal ones.

I recently went through the same process as you in trying to find a new tackle solution for use in my boat.  After much research I purchased a Plano Z-Series Tackle Bag and so far it has worked great.  One of its biggest selling points is that it does not have any zippers to maintain or rust.  It also has various loops all over the bag that you can use to attach various fishing related tools for quick access as well as an adequate number of extra pockets.  It has a hard bottom with great grip feet to keep water away from the bottom of the bag and to keep the bag from sliding around in the boat.  

The only downside about not having zippers and the way the bag is currently designed is that it is possible get water into the bag from the top sides in a heavy rain or spray from waves.  I keep mine in a dry hatch on the boat so it doesn't affect the way I use it but if you leave your tackle bag out on the deck there is some possibility that water could work its way in given the right conditions.

The bag comes in 2 sizes 3600 series and 3700 series and accommodates 5 Plano locking boxes of the chosen size.  I just swap out the boxes based on the type of fishing I am doing on a particular day which makes it very versatile.  I recommend checking it out during your search.   https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Z-Series-3600-Size-Bag/dp/B01N99FBG6

I bought a Plano z bag, love the idea of no zippers, but when I looked at it closely, I couldn’t get over how glaringly poor the top design was. It will funnel water inside the bag. I took it back and got a regular Plano, zippers rusted in less than a year. Academy sports has a tackle box that is advertised not to have any metal on it at all. I got one and have been happy so far. I think the zippers are plastic, but the teeth are small and I can’t be 100% positive 

On 8/21/2018 at 2:16 PM, heweymagoos said:

Shimano soft bag

I have this too.  Love the design, tons of room in the top for bags of soft plastics, holds four large plastic trays.  But it ripped the first year and the zippers are starting to give me trouble.   Someone will make a killing by getting this right!  With my luck it will be yeti and cost $500 though .  

19 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

I have this too.  Love the design, tons of room in the top for bags of soft plastics, holds four large plastic trays.  But it ripped the first year and the zippers are starting to give me trouble.   Someone will make a killing by getting this right!  With my luck it will be yeti and cost $500 though .  

Also have a Shimano but keep lubed with zipper lube after every second trip. Haven't had any problem with ripping and since I only use it for inshore, I don't have to carry a abundance of tackle.

Solutions have changed over the years..currently have some cheap ($8) soft side bags from Harbor Freight with Plano boxes in them, labeled, in bow area.  Also got a Shimano backpack that holds 4 boxes, leader, other stuff for when I’m going on someone else’s boat.  And a freaking closet full of boxes with too much stuff, so I can swap depending on what I’m doing.  

Archived