Battery selector switch failure — Position 1

My battery selector switch fails to have power on position 1 — the starting battery. I am starting only in position 2 with my trolling motor batteries. I swapped out the starting  battery with a new one and can’t seem to find a blown fuse/breaker. What am I missing?  Guidance please. Thank you. 

I am a bit lost as to how you are wired. Unless you have a 12 volt trolling motor how are you getting 12 volts on position 2. I understand you can wire one battery out of a pack for 12 volt. I think usually only done as a emergency back up. 

All that said yes your switch can be bad I would start at the switch with my handy dandy test light and work forward from there. 

Have you checked the switch itself like stated above?  If you can start on battery #2 I would not think it would be a fuse as the cable running to the switch is not normally fused or on my boats it has not been.  My pea brain would tell me it could be the cable itself going from battery #1 to the switch or the switch itself since you know everything after the switch is working by being able to run the boat on position #2.  If I were to bet I would say a loose or bad terminal or broken post on the switch.

4 hours ago, HoneyB said:

It should be easy to check power on the lugs on the back of the switch as you toggle it around. 

Keep in mind when you check the power that you might get 12VDC if you have a bad wire, connection, corrosion ect.  Just because you have voltage it does not mean you have enough power.  You can check voltage but would also have to check it with a load to see if your voltage has a significant drop.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the help. Bad switch. I admit I couldn’t find the screws to get to the back of the panel to test it for some time. It looked like one piece and I didn’t see the screw covers to pry up. Blue Seas’ warranty policy is to replace. I told the part number and they are sending a new one. Slower than Amazon but better price (as long as this one lasts). Thank you all again

• 8 months later...