So You Think Your Day Was Bad

Nag Juice

On 8/19/2018 at 7:11 AM, whichwaysup said:

Oh man, I am sorry for whoevers boat that was.  I hope everyone is okay.  

x2.  Signs..., I was just thinking two minutes ago, how I should place my fire extinguisher where it would be faster/easier to get to - and then clicked on this thread.

44 minutes ago, fsusteve said:

That small fire extinguisher we have to carry on the boat is almost useless, usually the powder packs down and even if it doesn’t it won’t be very effective on a flowing fuel or resin fire, better off with a five gal bucket of seawater.

That fire tetrahedron though....

I know the owner, not a forum member.

Its a 2013 model, had just been serviced not long before, he babies his boat.

While riding back with his wife on Biscayne bay, the back bulkhead just exploded !!

His Father was on another boat in front of him, didn't notice his son boat had exploded until he was miles away. Rescued by another boater.

(lose fuel line? Batteries?)

That is just crazy!  How rare would that be!  Even a fuel leak would require an ignition source.  I would think a battery explosion is more likely.  Not to mention, the tank is forward under the console.    And an explosion!?!?!?   Maybe a battery in the starboard rigging compartment exploded and ruptured the fuel line, which started a fire?

Maybe one of the newfangled lithium batteries which have been known to explode?

It would be great to hear the cause of the disaster.  Maybe all of us could learn something.

Archived