Trim Tab Replacement

flatsfisher772

I had one of my Lenco trim tabs go out. Ordered a replacement actuator and wondering if anyone has any tips on replacing it. It appears the tabs were installed and wires run through the transom before the cap was put on. I can't access where the wires come through so only thing I can think to do is take a hole saw to the rear compartment that holds the batteries. The wires will then be accessible. 

Would rather not do that so open to any suggestions. 

Thanks!

Just went thru the exact same problem. No access to the backside of the upper actuator mounts.

You could attach to the existing wire and push/pull it back into the bilge. Soap helps if tight on the wire like mine was. should be easy.

Or do as I did, and cut access holes to get to the area. I wanted to thru-bolt the upper mounts so I had no choice.

Its a 3 beer project. (1 to think about it, 1 to actually do it, and 1 to admire your work)

Not sure about the Bayfisher but have replaced both tabs on the MA and it is tough but doable. On mine, there was an inch or two of space between the rear compartment and the inside of the transom.  Best bet is to pull the new cable through by using the old cable, or, push the new wire in through the transom and when you get a couple of feet of it shoved in you can find the end by hand or by fishing around with a coat hanger. Second way may be more than three beers but eventually the cable will fall in the right direction and be reachable.

• 1 month later...

Just did one of mine on a RF18. Pull the old wire out. Drill the hole out with correct size bit. Have a helper push wire through. You get on your stomach and reach in and pull the wire as the helper pushes it. Before you start, get a flashlight to locate the new wire. Don’t cut the wire. Coil it and tie wrap. Put a little 4200 on the cap and silicone on the screws to make it watertight. Same with trim tab cover screws.

Just replaced both actuators on my rf18.  My wire runs from transom to bilge were the easy part.  When I stripped back the wires to connect the new actuators, I realized that the original power wires were corroded.  I wound up ordering a 4x16g cable and ran from lenco box in console to bilge.  That was not fun. Skipped the beer and went straight to Crown and coke.  

• 1 month later...

Archived