Toxic Lake: The Untold Story of Lake Okeechobee

Beak Boater

On 8/19/2018 at 11:22 AM, Capt. Troy said:

The lake is part of the problem for sure, but just a part.  When I graduated from High School in 1977 there were a little under 7 million people in this state. Close to 22 million now plus the visitors.

The problem is population density. The sub divisions with near zero lot lines. The high-rises to cram thousands of folks onto to a couple acres of dirt. The manipulation of the natural water flow on every square foot of dirt to accommodate more development. I often wonder about the thousands of acres of cow pastures around me that use to have standing water in them for months while it either evaporated or soaked and filtered into the aquifer over time.

You can bet your behind none of those homes being built in these pastures are going to have standing water in their yards.  :( That water is ditched and drained and ends up in our estuaries and coastal waters at all ends of this state.

Fish Hawk Ranch
Lakewood Ranch
Starkey Ranch
Mitchell Ranch
Boot Ranch
The Ranches of what the heck ever. All have thousands of homes and miles of asphalt and concrete.
All paved over and ditched and drained.

Really not hard to figure out the outcome when the pastures and cows are replaced by concrete and asphalt. WERE DOOMED!

Can't recall if it was Carl Hiassen or Dave Barry who noticed that housing developments were usually named after the pristine, natural thing they replaced.

"Whispering Oaks" means they cleared a bunch of old growth oaks to build houses!

Archived