Best Yamaha 2 stroke oil?

Nolezone

Never used anything but Penzoil Premium Plus in last 12 years  after doing some of my own testing. Less smoke, cleaner plugs and can be found anywhere way cheaper than Yamalube. Yamalube fouled my yam 90 plugs horrible so it prompted me to try something else. 

When I bought Pathy, I pumped my oil tank out and literally gave a few gals of Yamalube away that came with it. 

Amsoil HP Marine doesn't smoke much vs the others and it's clean. Yamalube is dirty and it fouls up my plugs. So far I've been using Pennzoil XLF for almost 2 years. 

I had to replace one of my heads and the combustion chambers were spotless. I use ring free with the Pennzoil and it's working. Look at this replacement head from eBay. I wonder what oil caused this mess? The clean head is my old part.

IMG_20180714_141725.jpg

IMG_20180621_190304.jpg

2 hours ago, Drummer said:

Gosh, I must be a redneck. I use SuperTech 2-stroke oil from Wally World. It's TC-W3 certified and produced by Amalie. Works great for me, at $12.99 a gallon. 

If you watch the holiday weekend sales at Advanced auto you can get Penzoil premiem plus for very close to that. I just buy few gallons at a time each year.

I have used yamalube,but changed to westmarine semi synthetic with all the tc-w3 etc compliant 15yrs on a Yamaha 150 VMAX and no issues. Engine ended up with a water jacket corrosion issue after 20 yrs of service. The engine didn't owe me anything,had no issues for it's 20yrs of service.

Yes Sir Rick it's not as cheap as some other oils, however for the price difference of a Mirr-o-lure per gallon I use it. I'm not into using expensive additives, like Ring Free, to keep my piston rings from sticking or trying to clean the built up carbon off the rings. Using mineral oil or synthetic blends (which by law is a minimum 90/10 ratio of mineral/synthetic) you introduce carbon into the cylinders. As we know stuck piston rings have a very bad affect on the life of 2 strokes. The Amsoil has no mineral oil, pure synthetic....no ring sticking, no carbon build up. Don't get me wrong I used Pennzoil and Quicksilver premium plus for 35 years on many different 2 strokes with only one major issue, however the Amsoil full synthetic is far superior.

Go on Amsoil.com, become a preferred member and you get nice savings. Plus feel free to do some product research. I buy other oils and filters during the year and the annual preferred customer fee of $25 (I think that's correct) is well worth the cost!. My brother's car is turbo charged and he will only buy the Amsoil Signature Series because of the 25,000 mile/1 year oil change guarantee.One of those each to their own.

FYI....I just bought a case (4 gallons) of 2 stroke Marine HP oil for my nephew's OX66 Monday. It was $127 including tax with free shipping from Orlando to my house in one day.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, justfish said:

If you watch the holiday weekend sales at Advanced auto you can get Penzoil premiem plus for very close to that. I just buy few gallons at a time each year.

x2. Sams club will generally have it too. Premium plus is good stuff.

If you do a lot of idling another clean oil is Mercury dfi oil (brown). If you do a lot of high rpm usage the mercury premium plus offers better protection than dfi oil

Shane FWIW, my Mercury mechanic told me, when I had Mercury's, the Mercury dfi oil you mentioned is formulated for high pressure "direct fuel injection" engines, such as Opti-max. The Ouicksilver premium plus is a TC-W3 oil more suited for efi (electric fuel injection, not direct), carburetor engines, mixed oil. etc. I had one of each kind of Merc at the same time and I just went with the Amsoil HP and ran the crap out of them. Shoot It might all be "hocus pocus" marketing as far as I know!! 

However I do know the "premium" oils at West Marine are WAY overpriced!!!

On 8/13/2018 at 5:27 PM, Coto said:

Yamalube period.

What he said.....why NOT use OEM....that's what the engine was designed to use...smoke or no smoke....I've never gone wrong over 18 years of owning Yamahas with their oil.   more expensive - yes, but, after I get to the dock in Chokoloskee, I've got over $100 in gas, bait, lunch, ice, breakfast, etc into the trip....for my 2 stroke 1995, I have not had any problems...I purchased the MA17 two years ago, I don't know what the previous owner was using, but, I changed out the entire oil system and filled it with Yamaha.

DC

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

.....why NOT use OEM

I will not tell anyone what oil to use nor which is "best", it is their boat, as long as it meets the requirements it will work.  If there is a better product for me I will use it over the OEM brand.  I don't put AC Delco oil in my Chevy but rather Mobile1 because it works for me.  Some prefer Racor fuel filters over Yamaha big blue:ph34r:.  It all comes down to what works for the owner and what the owner like, OEM or not. 

4 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

why NOT use OEM

Because I have seen the left overs that oil leaves behind, in the cylinders and attached to the spark plug. But like Mulligan says, its your boat do as you choose. I've never heard anyone blame a certain type of oil as the cause of motor failure as long as it meets specs.

Archived