08 2200TE Nav Lights LED upgrade Question

FROZEN

I want to go to the latest, greatest, brightest LED nav lights. 

Question.....can I accomplish this by installing a LED bulb to replace the incandescent ones, or do I need to get the whole assembly made for LED?

Any suggestions on brand and p/n replacement or bulb?

Thanks in advance for your input!

This is what I have now:

85E4EB74-4DAB-4208-A1A5-E2D97635BA6F.thumb.jpeg.4fc6f0386c65e364dbd93210581c3a9b.jpeg

I don't know if you can replace the incandescent bulb with an LED.  But that is a good question to call Perko with. 

I replaced mine with the LED's NC is showing.   They are identical to the incandescent version.  You can find them much cheaper than that, though.  I did have trouble with moisture getting into the sealed LED bulb.   It was almost brand new.   I had to really put up a fuss with Perko to ship me a new LED sealed bulb under warranty, including fussing and bad mouthing them on the internet and writing them a nasty letter.  They never explained to me how a sealed bulb can get moisture in it.  But I finally did get them to ship me a new bulb. 

• Haha 1

I've heard that the light from the LED bulbs is on a different wavelength, so you actually have to put red and green bulbs behind the red or green lenses; white bulbs won't give you the right color. However, most of the time I have problems with that type of fixture, it's with corrosion on the contacts and/or the bulb, not the bulb burning out. I'd stick with a dedicated LED fixture here.

• Like 1

Thanks all! I ordered the Perko 602 chrome/brass from MyGreenOutdoors.com for $125.00, no tax, free shipping. West Marine was $230 plus tax. Wasn’t worth a trip to the store to price match and wait. The install template looked really close to what I have, so hopefully just a straight changeout.

I’ll post pics when installed to show difference w/ incandescent.

Yeah, I really like to support the local stores and shops when I can, even West Marine, dealers for service, etc. because they employ local people who need a paycheck. But I’ve learned that a quick internet search can yield some real savings in my pocket....this is a good example. I think local retail trade, especially in the marine world, is real trouble!

M

If I may bring up another subject that I have concerns about. The lights are obviously mounted on the side of the console, legal, yes. However what if you have two buddies with you at night standing on either side of the console and your running, which I am sure many of us have done. Does anyone see a concern with blocking the nav lights? Granted if the person is on the side it will still be seen from head on, but what about port & starboard?

I am just asking, old coastie here and I removed mine for that reason. Thoughts? Or am I over thinking it?

40 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

If I may bring up another subject that I have concerns about. The lights are obviously mounted on the side of the console, legal, yes. However what if you have two buddies with you at night standing on either side of the console and your running, which I am sure many of us have done. Does anyone see a concern with blocking the nav lights? Granted if the person is on the side it will still be seen from head on, but what about port & starboard?

I am just asking, old coastie here and I removed mine for that reason. Thoughts? Or am I over thinking it?

Back in July, we were easing up the river heading back to the dock about 10:30 at night.  We were pulled over and warned by the local county Marine Patrol because my Admiralette was standing to the side  of the console and partially blocking a side light.  There ya go!

It is something everyone with the console mounted nav lights need to be conscious of. I had a neighbor that I grew up with and him and 2 other friends died in a boating accident and were in a bay/flats boat and got t-boned at night in the bay. The other commercial boat said they had no nav lights on but the investigators found the switch in the "on" position in the boat during the investigation. They determined they had no stern light plugged in, obviously their fault, but they determined the nav lights on the console may have been blocked by a passenger.

• 1 year later...
On 8/13/2018 at 9:56 AM, FROZEN said:

I want to go to the latest, greatest, brightest LED nav lights. 

Question.....can I accomplish this by installing a LED bulb to replace the incandescent ones, or do I need to get the whole assembly made for LED?

Any suggestions on brand and p/n replacement or bulb?

Thanks in advance for your input!

This is what I have now:

85E4EB74-4DAB-4208-A1A5-E2D97635BA6F.thumb.jpeg.4fc6f0386c65e364dbd93210581c3a9b.jpeg

Does anyone know where to get the chrome vent plate pictured below the LED light?