2000v Questions

firetech

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and looking for a little bit of advise. Ive done a lot of looking around and finally believe I've found the boat for my family and I. Its a 2008 2000v with around 300 hrs on the original 150 yamaha 4 stroke. Has a Garmin set up, Jack plate, power pole and a 80lb minkota trolling motor. Hoping to pick it up for $21k. I've seen the pics of it and its very nice in pictures. I already know to look at the wiring, the bilge, transom, and for any major cracks or soft spots. My question is that has anyone had only real problems i should look for and what else i should look at. Ive seen a couple of posts of others having the bottom delaminating and having major repairs. is that something that is common with the 2000v?

(side note) My dad has owned his 2002 19v from day one and it has seen some very rough waters (8-10ft waves) and has skimmed the flats past others that are already beached. The boats has seen hell and back with how hard he rides it and I trust it to take my family out on anytime. 

1 hour ago, firetech said:

My question is that has anyone had only real problems i should look for and what else i should look at. Ive seen a couple of posts of others having the bottom delaminating and having major repairs. is that something that is common with the 2000v?

Most of the delamination problems were related to the 2005 year...but, in any case, you should have a certified Marine surveyor tap your hull and give it a once over...for $250 or so, it will give you piece of mind.

300 hrs on a 150 is nothing, but, still have a certified mechanic do a once over and check it out....worth the $100 or so...

dc

I can relate as I just  sold my 19 and purchased a 22 about three hours away.   I paid $23,000 so for peace of mind I had a local mechanic come and meet me to give the motor a once over. And the homeowner didn’t appear to reject which is the first sign that you’re probably on the right track to having a decent motor. That set me back 200 bucks but I believe it’s well worth it. I got under the boat and studied the whole hull to the best of my ability etc...making sure all the lines of the boat where intact.  Also I looked for discoloration/ blend of gelcoat repair. Look at rub rail,  that says a lot too.  Then  jump inside the cockpit and look at all the hard angles for stress cracks, which could be indicative of potential structural issues, Or they could just be simple flexing.. study the crAcking!  Wiring smiring...that all prob is shot.. just fix it( short run).  All in all go with your gut on whether to pull trigger.. it’s always a gamble. The best you can do is make nice with the seller and see if you can catch if there are un truths..Generally most people out there I tend to believe in this pathfinder market Most guys take care of these. BOats as they are $$$ also, most good guys wouldn’t want to see your family be in jeopardy by selling you a hazard.. sea trial!!!

anyway that’s my rant.

good luck bud.

Archived