What to do??

wahoofrank

Get a Master Angler. If you want new get a Redfisher. There IS a difference in ride though. The MA has a superior ride to the Redfisher. I see that everyone on this thread is an "expert" and reading this thread is like watching 24hr news, but the MA or RF will meet your needs.

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

owned a RF18 for 18 months and fished in Choko weekly back in 2004

DC, what model year was your RF 18?  Reason I ask is, it seems to me that the older RFs had a flatter modified vee hull than the newer models.  I think the newer RFs are a little wider and heavier than the older models as well.  Even the Hewes logo was changed from "Light Tackle Skiffs" to "Light Tackle Boats".  BTW, if the MA 17 was available new (I like the "hint"), it would've been on my list of choices to buy, for the soft ride, and would still fit in my garage.

51 minutes ago, Nag Juice said:

I see that everyone on this thread is an "expert" and reading this thread is like watching 24hr news

Of course.  It's what we do here.  But I think good intentions and helping others outweighs the vanity and pomp on this forum.  It doesn't hurt to chime in and defend your $40K toy's reputation either, when opinions get mixed in with the facts.

39 minutes ago, geeviam said:

DC, what model year was your RF 18?  Reason I ask is, it seems to me that the older RFs had a flatter modified vee hull than the newer models.  I think the newer RFs are a little wider and heavier than the older models as well.  Even the Hewes logo was changed from "Light Tackle Skiffs" to "Light Tackle Boats".  BTW, if the MA 17 was available new (I like the "hint"), it would've been on my list of choices to buy, for the soft ride, and would still fit in my garage.

I had a 2003, it was the first or 2nd year of the new models

5 minutes ago, geeviam said:

when opinions get mixed in with the facts.

One fisherman's opinion is another's facts.....

It's all about what works for you......if you go back and look at the OP's questions, he asked specifically about Chokoloskee and it's fishing environment...I"ve spent the last 18 years (Cococean-Paul) probably most his life since a kid.....and I've fished 1/2 doz different boats in the fishery, Egret's, Blackjack, RF, MA, MA21, PF22, PF24, Ranger's etc, PF17T's HPX's is what comes to mind....

It's a unique fishery as it has dangerous unseen oyster bars both out front and in the back....

But, the key for me has been, if you need to make the long run 15+ miles from Chatham or 28+ from Lostmans in the afternoon a falling tide, where you can't run the "bights" and the normal afternoon "WEST" wind breaks out, you will get a pounding in anything smaller than a 22PF....it's not a 3' BS chop, it's a nasty 2 footer....so, for me, and yes, it's my opinion as it's not measurable like draft or speed, I'd rather be in a MA hull (17,18.5 or 21) , than a HPX or RF....

The OP asked about the 17, and it will give you a beating even worse, given it's size.....again, opinion.

IMG_0233.thumb.jpeg.433c6e64f585dbced24b349c59dfb419.jpegIMG_0218.thumb.jpeg.2a6bd207de0ada9315838299b56619cd.jpegDino this should be  a picture of your 18 RF  2003 RedFisher from the old brochure (says light tackle boats on 2002 brochure).I am pretty sure the new Cad design hull came out in 2002 as per brochure  .  You got your 18 the same year I ordered my 16 RF 2003 ,(  picture of it above )this was seven years  before I ordered my 2010 HPX . All great boats and all do some things better than others . Like Geeviam said the RF bottom has a fair amount of V in the rear , it has a V where the 18 HPX has a pad . They made the V in the RedFisher because the average RedFisher guy ask about ride . Cutting thru a 2 foot swell may be more important to the RedFisher guy than a holeshot in shallow water or riding on top of the water on the pad to gain speed is to a HPX guy . They are all designed to fit the needs of different types of fisherman . Like the video said the HPX is a sports car . Different boats for different folks only time people are not happy is when they buy a boat that is made to do something other than what they want to do with it 90% of the time . A motor home would not handle very good racing on a road course but you don’t want to live and eat in a Porsche 911 for a week on vacation . 

IMG_0246.jpeg

Archived