Bonefisher flats capabilities

Keysfisher96

Hey guys,

Ive got a ‘96 bonefisher with a brand new suzuki on it, i just wanted to know the capabilities of it on the flats, primarily in search of bonefish, permit, and tarpon, in the florida keys and biscayne bay, as well as sightfishing tailing redfish in the everglades. Ive got a push pole but have never tried poling it, so how does this boat pole? Ive poled many tech poling skiffs but never a hewes. Also whats the fishable and poleable draft of this boat before i get stuck? Primarily going to be fishing with two people on the boat, myself and another angler, one in the front making casts and one on the platform poling. I understand this is not a tech skiff and wont pole in 3” of water but I just want to know if it is possible to target skinny water, spooky fish, such as bonefish and permit, in this boat, as well as the way it poles. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you for your responses.

You will definitely be fine in the bonefisher. It is more than a capable boat for what you are stalking. I remember going out with Bonefish Bob he had a bonefisher and would slay them consistently. He fished exclusively Biscayne around jones lagoon, arsenicker, featherbed bank, all them shallow areas.

Yes Sir, we were polling on this fish, it was after three straight days of spooking them, casting way too short or long and casting right on their backs basically normal bonefishing for amateurs like my wife and I. Let's be clear, as you mentioned it's no HPX or Hells Bay but it will poll in 6" to 7" balanced properly, it does have hull slap on windy days, not as light as the technical skiffs but way cheaper to learn how to poll on. I've said it many times, of all the boats I've bought and sold, my Bonefisher is the one I miss the most!!!!! Wish I still had it.

5 hours ago, DonV said:

Yes Sir, we were polling on this fish, it was after three straight days of spooking them, casting way too short or long and casting right on their backs basically normal bonefishing for amateurs like my wife and I. Let's be clear, as you mentioned it's no HPX or Hells Bay but it will poll in 6" to 7" balanced properly, it does have hull slap on windy days, not as light as the technical skiffs but way cheaper to learn how to poll on. I've said it many times, of all the boats I've bought and sold, my Bonefisher is the one I miss the most!!!!! Wish I still had it.

Thank you Don, this is exactly the information I needed, and now that you say that the bonefisher is the one you miss the most, I dont think I will be getting rid of it for a very very long time!

Thanks again

there are a few how to videos on how to pole on the net....capt gonzalez of Hells Bay has one that is very instructive....my advice would be to call some some like him or Capt Carl Ball in Miami and get a charter and tell him specifically you'd like to learn how to pole....it will save you endless hours of learning....

I'm sure the BF willl do just fine for what you are looking to do...

dc

Archived