Minn Kota motherboard problem

smilemaker

On the old Minn Kota trolling motor it was absolutely  necessary to disconnect the motor by plug or circuit breaker before hooking onboard charger. I was hoping MK had addressed this in the new post 2017 motors. Has anyone else fried a motherboard due to forgetting to disconnect the tm .

Over the years I have fried 2 24 volt motherboards and believe a fishing buddy may have fried his post 17 board.

The manual for my Minn kota 2017 says to unplug  before charging the batteries. 

I have had 2 of the boards go bad while charging with the tm pluged in on the old 24 volt motors.

My fishing partner had his 2017 36volt go out and it is only a year old

The problem with boards is well discussed on the web

On 8/4/2018 at 7:23 PM, FROZEN said:

X2, read my manual and it doesn’t mention that. Ipilot is 2008 vintage.

I stand corrected...... From my manual for 08 ipilot

CAUTION
• For safety reasons,disconnectthemotorfromthebatteryorbatterieswhenthemotorisnotinuseorwhile
the battery/batteries are being charged.
• Improperwiringof24/36voltsystemscouldcausebatteryexplosion!
• Keepleadwirewingnutconnectionstightandsolidtobatteryterminals.
• Locate battery in aventilatedcompartment

Sorry about letter spacing from copy/ paste.

5 hours ago, bernieNC said:

I always flip the breaker between the batteries and the TM after use. Why not it makes to much sense. The breaker needs to be in a convenient location.

Me 2.  Every time!  No reason not too!  Plus, you don't have to unplug by using the breaker! 

IMG_1540.JPG

It seems that Minn  kota is aware of the situation.  It seems that there should be an answer to protect the board.

You can find about anything  on the web as some people  say  that stray static electricity can dry the board.

How can something withstand abuse on the water be so vulnerable. 

As well, there is discussions on the Ulterra as well, you should unplug when not in use as the draw on the batteries...small amount of voltage, but, enough if you were to not use for many weeks, it could draw down the batteries....I always unplug as well since I have the Battery Tender plug...it takes 20 seconds and I usually spray some corrosion protection in the plug on the male and female sides....three years and not an issue...same DEKAS's 27 series...but, I do charge right after using it and then again, always the night before....My breaker is not easily accessible under the console....so, I always unplug.

DC

Archived