Stereo Systems for MA17

Wanaflatsfish

I would like to add some tunes for my fishing Buddy Capt DonH and it to listen to while running from spot to spot.

We are trance and electronic fanatics :)  Yes, it's somewhat true....Gaga seems to be a redfish favorite.

I know we have some pureists....hint hint...someone who lives in a trailer in Choko...but, as you grow older, you want some tunes to enjoy the day...or at least I know I do...and so does the wife when you go to the sandbar....

I 'm not a Stereo Geek...so, I'd like some input from fellow forum members..

I"m not interested in a super high end, complicated system with multiple zone...here are my requirements

1.) I'd like to play the tunes off the iphone

2.) I'd to NOT have to install a large amp

3.) Are there systems that allow you to get some decent sound with a main unit and connect to a pair of speakers upon on the bow?  Or do you need a strong amp?

4.) Budget ??  what is reasonable?  I'll do a self install...

5.) are there "blue tooth" speakers that allow you to not have to run wiring?  

Thanks in advance.....bring on the ideas and pics would be appreciated.

DC

Dino, I installed this with an amp, https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-KMC2-Center-Marine-Receiver/dp/B01J2I9X9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533388716&sr=8-1&keywords=kicker+kmc2&dpID=51UuRIt4EHL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch however the amp was not necessary but I had it and figured if I am going to wire it up might as well install it. Great blue tooth connection, 50 watts per channel compact design, control phone without having to pick up the phone. Blue tooth speakers you need to control volume via phone so you need to have it available at all times and on a boat that is not so practical. 

Fair warning: I am not an audio guy. Quite the opposite actually, I almost despise loud music especially on the water. 

Unless you are really gonna go big and especially since you don’t have any existing holes, wires etc to start with, you owe it to yourself to check out some of the Bluetooth speakers. No install, no holes, no repair...you really have nothing to lose, if it’s not enough use it at the beach or on the sandbar. 

my current boat came with a fusion radio with fusion speakers, and my Bluetooth speaker I had on my Pathy sounded better and was as loud if not louder. 

This one is waterproof and has a shock cord to wrap around things like grab rails, t tops and stuff so it’s not rolling around. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Speaker-Waterproof-Shockproof/dp/B00YARCGHO?th=1&psc=1

Get you 2 JL 8.8’s with a 400 watt amp or 4 JL 7.7’s with 400 watt amp.

I have the latter and can hear fine while running and plenty for the sandbar.  I was worried about the amp drawing to much power (1 batt runs everything on boat) but barely tell any diff with power drain from batt.  I do have the option to jump motor off of trolling batteries but have never had to do it.  I have everything running through a sonic hub that is connected to my chartplotter Also put a wireless remote on dash.  Everything comes from phone via Bluetooth 

Listening while running will take some power to produce enough volume. Also quality speakers that are clear at those volume levels.

48 minutes ago, Inshore1 said:

Get you 2 JL 8.8’s with a 400 watt amp or 4 JL 7.7’s with 400 watt amp.

The above is about what's its gonna take. Personally Im a bluetooth speaker guy.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:04 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

I know we have some pureists....hint hint...someone who lives in a trailer in Choko…

Hey now, watch it Dino! I only live in Choko about 10 nites each month xD  and, for the record, either Pandora or iTunes are cranking in the camper at all times except during afternoon or nite naps. 

Don't tell anyone but....I have been known to take a Bose Bluetooth speaker on my boat and crank up some music that I have downloaded on my iPhone but that has only happened on non-fishing days. 

I personally like the JL audi systems, they rock. If you are only going with 2 speakers (7.7) instead of 4 speakers you can get the 200/2 marine amp and save $100 bucks +/-. I believe the  200 and 400 watt marine amp put out 75 watts per channel @ 4 ohms, the speakers are rated for 100W per channel

Granted 4 speakers and a 400/4 amp is the real deal, but you have not mentioned price.

Fusion MS RA 55 (small very compact 6.1/4" x 2.5" x 2.1/4" deep )  2 DP Bluetooth streaming is IP 65 rated, 2 Fusion signature 6.5" speakers 230 W, (you can add  an MS-AM702 zone amp if you like as well (140W) its a very low voltage and compact class D 2 OHM stable)  That package speaker radio setup will run you about 300.00 and will sound very good, check around for pricing?  (I am running same basic setup in my 17 MA).  If you want to go way up I can give you some ideas on that as well... 

My RF 18 came with the speakers installed in the front bulk head firing back towards the seat they are hard wired. I have 2 JL Audio 6.5 M series speakers and a Fusion MS RA70N head unit.  It worked ok.  With the speakers that far away from your listening position and down low next to he floor it took a lot of volume to overcome the noise of the Motor, Wind, Water on the hull. Sitting anchored it did ok....nothing special. Running, forget about it. I have some long idles to get in and out on canals so I need my tunes. I added a Memphis Audio Marine 16 MXAS140 amp. Its D Class, draws very low amps, and made a huge difference in the volume and clarity of the music. Now.....does it sound like the system would with a sub...nope. But I was doing the minimum I could do to get a little more.  I too am a JL Audio guy.....every upgrade or install I try to use them. The amp from JL was out of stock at the place I get most all my gear.  So I went with Memphis Audio on their recommendation. So far no problems.

These folks have everything you could want and at a fair price.....their tech support is top notch, at least what I needed was. Good folks to to  business with.

https://www.crutchfield.com/c_20/Marine-Audio-GPS.html

I found this stereo when I decided I wanted Bluetooth onboard. I love it and it does not take up a lot of room on or in the console. Also has built in weather band which I admit is not a big deal when you have a vhf on board. 45 Watts x 4 channels could be doubled if you only ran two good speakers. 

FF0A5421-4531-473C-AEDE-9EE36ABCA6D9.jpeg

E7E6CF86-C09F-4B53-8A73-6C51464380E9.jpeg

99271159-70BF-4ACE-AE4B-8891B07C1B33.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the time to begin to build out a simple stereo system....

Picked up a WM head unit (Dual) and with 240 watts of power...and a JL pair of 6.5 inch.....bought the 2 year insurance....so, anything goes wrong..you just bring it back.

I am installing the head unit where the useless compass was, so, i had to make my own cut out  for install....

Lots of rain here in So Florida...so, I don't know if I will be able to finish...but, spent some time last night doing some testing...

I needed to run the wires to the bow via the fuel tank access as I wanted the speakers to face back towards the helm.

Took out the batteries, I bought some PVC board and will be installing over the access whole in the console and will also be elevating the charger with the PVC board..

Here is some of the beginning work....uggggh....batteries are definitely heavy :)

recharging the batteries while setting up....

55763246680__943910DD-F1DA-4D8A-B552-10F48F5C3970.JPG

Took out the Compass.  in the coming year or so, will be redoing the console in starboard and clean her up a good bit...

IMG_8833.jpg

Always take pics...no matter how many times I've installed batteries.....

IMG_8834.jpg

Got them out...ugggh heavy.....

IMG_8840.jpg

Access through the floor panel.....ran a pull line in red see below....will need to make it a bit bigger....but, this was the first attempt....

IMG_8842.jpg

Got the head unit working and attached all the connections...

IMG_8845.jpg

Clarion had some very good reviews....wanted to keep it within a budget....no amp, but, with 240 watts on two speakers...reviews indicated it should provide some decent tunes....if I need to add the amp, I'll do so later....or look for a good deal....

IMG_8846.jpg

The speakers on my MA are in the center console, it's plenty loud and sounds really good for a two speaker system, not sure how many watts it is but I don't have an amplifier on this boat. I like the location of the speakers because they're out of the way and don't have to worry about them getting stepped on. Here's a pic

image.thumb.jpeg.6368f2809d931106eb392e09ff20707c.jpeg

Those rod holders are one of a kind. I made templates and had the starboard shaped to match them. They used a trim bit in a router to follow the edge of the template (would have routed them myself but went to choko instead). The brackets taper away from the console as they get closer to the cup holder, this keeps the rods from hitting the hand rail. I still have the templates, you're welcome to use them, I might even have some extra cup holders that fit. Here's some pics:

image.thumb.png.a0b577367ff175150bd04f87dbcabefc.pngimage.thumb.png.6f8cfcdd7d6f95726dbaea771971f234.pngimage.thumb.png.61dc12dd5a6d874d96635c57a7dd2e53.png

Archived