2004 MA 18’ 2017 Mercury 150 fourstroke

Mfengler34

I have a 2004 MA 18 with a 2017 Mercury 150 fourstroke, I am currently running a 3 blade Mercury thunder bolt 21p. Speed and RPM are not an issue, however, I am getting some prop chatter around some sharp turns. I want to switch to a four blade prop. I do have a jakeplate, engine setback is 4.5’. I was wondering if anyone had the same setup and could help me in selecting the right 4 blade prop. Thanks in advance. 

On 8/2/2018 at 1:34 PM, Mfengler34 said:

I have a 2004 MA 18 with a 2017 Mercury 150 fourstroke, I am currently running a 3 blade Mercury thunder bolt 21p. Speed and RPM are not an issue, however, I am getting some prop chatter around some sharp turns. I want to switch to a four blade prop. I do have a jakeplate, engine setback is 4.5’. I was wondering if anyone had the same setup and could help me in selecting the right 4 blade prop. Thanks in advance. 

Little off topic as I run a Yamaha but what are your current numbers as to speed and rpm with that Merc and jackplate? Its a repower option I have thought about but wondered on the 18 MA. I had similar issue with my Yamaha and the 4 blade cured it but it came at a loss on speed on top end but the hole shot was on point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 10:58 AM, Mfengler34 said:

I’m running around 5700 rpms, and the fastest I’ve seen was 58mph. That was 20 gallons of gas and two foward trolling motor batteries. However I was going with the tide and wind 

Wow that’s like 2 % prop slip with a 1.92 to 1 gear ratio and a 21 pitch prop turning 5700 RPM that’s the best prop slip number I have ever seen and 58 MPH out of a 18 master angler is like 4 mph faster than have heard of . Is that speed from a GPS ?   If I had a set up that had 2% slip I would live with the noise and enjoy the speed . Very impressive speed , 

1 minute ago, dabear said:

Wow that’s like 2 % prop slip with a 1.92 to 1 gear ratio and a 21 pitch prop turning 5700 RPM that’s the best prop slip number I have ever seen and 58 MPH out of a 18 master angler is like 4 mph faster than have heard of . Is that speed from a GPS ?   If I had a set up that had 2% slip I would live with the noise and enjoy the speed . Very impressive speed , 

That is the speed on my Garmin, when I had a two stroke 150 I saw 62mph 

Wow very impressive that’s a big ole heavy boat .That boat is known for its smooth ride not blazing speed ,looks like yours has both .  The Yamaha performance bulletin which are known to be on the high side with MPH numbers ran 54. Something with a f150 , one battery , no trolling motor , one person and a 21 pitch prop . Bulletin said weight tested like 2500 plus lbs . I would be surprised if a few 18  MA owners are not asking you about your prop and set up . 63 in a 18MA with a 150 that’s a good number for a HPX with a 150 . 

Archived