Opinion on the v max HDPI

tarpon41

Question, about every 22 pathfinder I find myself interested in has the 150 v max HDPI.  I personally owned a regular 150 v max 2 stroke and it ran great.  Am I making the right decision to run from these HDPI models and good deals on boats with them.  Accordingly to a few mechanics I spoke too they say bail...I’m really on the fence... as I am ready to get into a four stroke motor..

thx!

6 hours ago, tarpon41 said:

Question, about every 22 pathfinder I find myself interested in has the 150 v max HDPI.  I personally owned a regular 150 v max 2 stroke and it ran great.  Am I making the right decision to run from these HDPI models and good deals on boats with them.  Accordingly to a few mechanics I spoke too they say bail...I’m really on the fence... as I am ready to get into a four stroke motor..

thx!

the 2.6L HPDI is the best HPDI Yamaha made.  Very powerful and better MPG's than the later OX66 and carbed versions.  Like all other direct injected engines, proper scheduled maintenance is the key to a long trouble free life.  Run good / clean fuel, change all filters when they are supposed to be changed and you will be fine.  Also keep in mind the 150 HPDI is a V6.  They are faster and make more low end torque than a four stroke inline 4.      

1 hour ago, Lap it Up said:

the 2.6L HPDI is the best HPDI Yamaha made.  Very powerful and better MPG's than the later OX66 and carbed versions.  Like all other direct injected engines, proper scheduled maintenance is the key to a long trouble free life.  Run good / clean fuel, change all filters when they are supposed to be changed and you will be fine.  Also keep in mind the 150 HPDI is a V6.  They are faster and make more low end torque than a four stroke inline 4.      

Good advise!

I've been operating boats since 1962 (yeah....I know I'm ancient!) and have owned many boats and motors.  At 11 years in to ownership of the 200 HPDI 2.6 I can say without reservation that it's the best motor I've ever run.  As others have said, it's paramount that maintenance be done on the motor -- especially the filters.

On 8/2/2018 at 4:16 PM, WildBlueUnder said:

I've been operating boats since 1962 (yeah....I know I'm ancient!) and have owned many boats and motors.  At 11 years in to ownership of the 200 HPDI 2.6 I can say without reservation that it's the best motor I've ever run.  As others have said, it's paramount that maintenance be done on the motor -- especially the filters.

Why is it the best you've ever run? 

On 8/6/2018 at 5:05 PM, Nag Juice said:

Why is it the best you've ever run? 

Because it performs flawlessly time after time after time.  The motor has never stranded me.  It pushes the 2200v like it was meant to be hanging on that transom. Also, because I do (and have done) all of the routine maintenance myself on this complex machine, the mechanical engineering is the best I've ever encountered.  Thanks for your question.

On August 13, 2018 at 9:11 PM, jht said:

I had great luck with my 2.6 HPDI 200 HP....650 hours flawless....Miss Jazzy has the boat now and still goes strong last time we spoke.

Yes sir she's still running as strong as she always has. Got 762 hrs now. Good maintenance and good fuel and she's good to go!  

I had the 2.6 Block 200 HP 2003 And it finally failed at 1200 hours in 2015 because of lack of use. Fuel set up in Fuel Injector line and one cylinder went bad. Big believer in Fuel stabilizer in summer when boat sets on lift in the southwest Florida heat but I broke my own rule and didn’t use. Also a believer in good oil and carbon protection,  really cheap insurance when you figure it out relative to the money spent on gasoline. Yamaha products are not cheap but worth it in my opinion.  Service yearly including water pump.Great motor and would not hesitate to buy a used boat with a well cared for 150 or 200 HPDI 2.6 Liter.

Archived