Losing depth reading

East Coast Dave

Any certain speed it drops out?  Do you have gaps in the sonar reading or is it lost completely?  Any excessive spray from it?

Ive never dealt with a TS ducer but pleny of other transom mounts.  1st thing id do is double check that height and tilt (front to back) are correct according to install instructions.  This can be tricky to do accurately.  What works for me is to get a 1.5 to 2' straight edge and run at least 12" of it flat against the bottom of the hull and allow it to extend beyond the transom and alongside the ducer use the top of the straight edge to check the measurements.  You can usually see by eye if its off even a little using this method.

Id go down with it 1st especially if question 4 above is a no and question 2 answer is lost completely... usually your not deep enough unless its kicking up spray.  Pics would help us see any issues as well

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 8:38 PM, East Coast Dave said:

I installed a total scan transducer and I keep losing the bottom reading at speed. So does it need to go up or down. I see conflicting things online. It works perfect at slow speeds.

Thanks. 

Had same issue with TS ducer on both the Lappy and now on Comet.  Tilting down (forward) did seem to help a little. If you find a solution, please post. 

Same thing here.

Not sure if this will help... while running at cruise, try changing the transducer frequencies. You will see some work considerably better than others keeping a bottom reading at speed. Not perfect like at idle, but acceptable for cruise.

it seems to be a finicky ducer here too. Good luck.

Archived