Fuel Sending unit / Anti Siphon Valve

TurfLife

I own a 2006 20ft pathfinder with a f115 Yamaha. Recently been having issues of the motor starving for fuel when running at high rpms. The bulb is completely sucked flat when the engine is on. I recently completely disconnected the fuel vent under the gas cap and completely cleaned that. Even if I open the gas cap while running, the bulb will still be collapsed. So that rules out a venting issue there. I did some work today and saw my fuel sending unit and anti siphon valve was super corroded. I ended up breaking off the barb  end of the anti siphon unit when I tried to remove the hose. Anyone ever have any issues unthreading the fuel sending unit elbow? I couldn’t get it to budge today so I sprayed with the pb blaster and will try again tomorrow. Anyone ever have to replace this elbow and know where to get a new one?

8F2ED0AD-817A-4949-8C7B-B75B4F3576B8.jpeg

7EE0D7D8-40BB-42C3-BDE7-5B35B47DBE61.jpeg

When you unscrew the elbow you need to put a wrench on the nut below it to stop it from turning. 

It looks like a poly tank and I believe that  but holds the  seal to the tank

Be patient plenty of pb blaster.

Better to take several days trying  a little  at a time. If you break things here the fix is complicated 

4 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

that's why it's easier to just remove the anti siphon.

dc

Done this twice now and both times the anti siphon was corroded real good to the elbow and wouldn’t budge, yet the elbow unscrewed from tank with ease. Broke one off at threads once I had it out in fact ...

Since others have had different outcomes, I’d go in with an open mind try both ways and see what you got. It prob just comes down to if the guy rigging the tank that day ate his wheaties or not. 

The anti siphon valve serves two purposes. (1) It keeps fuel in the fuel lines from draining from the motor back to the tank when the motor is off. If you remove the anti siphon valve, you'll have to pump the bulb quite a bit before starting. (2) the anti siphon valve has a small spring and ball that seats against an o-ring. Pumping the bulb or operating the fuel pump can easily overcome the pressure of the spring to supply fuel to the motor. If you have a fuel line failure under the deck, the anti siphon valve keeps fuel from siphoning from the tank and filling your bilge with gasoline. So, the anti siphon valve is a factory installed safety device. Yep, you can operate without it, but is it worth the risk?

On 8/2/2018 at 10:36 AM, justfish said:

*** it, he ate his wheaties 

I had same issue as you are describing and ended up having a small black flake of something on my pickup screen. Was no more than 1/3 of size of screen so was surprised it caused that much issue but removing it fixed it right up. 

Once you got the elbow off did the filter and tube slide right out that hole? Mine seems to be catching I can’t pull it out 

2D7908F4-54A3-4CA0-946D-88B66BE7BA19.jpeg

18 hours ago, TurfLife said:

Once you got the elbow off did the filter and tube slide right out that hole? Mine seems to be catching I can’t pull it out 

most likely has a filter on it....

You don't need to remove it...to do so, most likely you will need to remove connection to the tank...

What happened to the elbow...it looks like it sheared off? 

dc

It came unscrewed right and didn’t break? It kinda looks like the threads I circled are still in, but ( atleast in this one) doesn’t seem like you’d be able to get to pick up tube  

Mine came right out.  I had a filter screen like pictured, so maybe you just need to wiggle it through   

16134A41-3E15-4053-85B2-8BAFF0E8DD6A.jpeg

Archived