NMEA cable run

Bruce J

Yes. A multi port bus with a few ports for the Command Link (Yamaha branded NMEA2k). My boat, a 2018, has a bus just inside the transom in the bilge and then one neatly tucked away and nearly completely covered by wires, under the dash. I spent a lot of time in my console wiring up an amp and speakers and never did see it. I found it on accident while running wires with the factory wiring. I have not tried it yet, but there is a Command Link to NMEA cable that BOE Marine sells for around $120. I think I'm going to buy the Corsa plug end and make my own cable as I can do it for less than $30. Here's a picture and a few links. Both links go to The Hull Truth, if not allowed Mod, please delete. Just trying to be helpful. 

You will need to make a NMEA network for that one cable to work. I think BOE Marine also makes a cable for Command Link bus port direct to Garmin w/o a NMEA network, but can't remember. I used an Ancor 4 port "T" with power wire for mine, and hooked my head unit and VHF up to my Garmin. I'll use my last NMEA port to run the Command Link to NMEA cable into my network.  

Link to Corsa plug end in this thread

Great Info in this thread

IMG_0137.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

I’m just hanging onto this subject by a thread, or maybe a wire. I think I understand the basic Lowrance/Yamaha NMEA cable  idea, creating a backbone, etc. I’m not crazy at all about the prospects of fishing that cable from the motor all the way to my Garmin in the console. I think that would exceed my ability or patience.

But Brad, you say I might have a Yamaha proprietary NMEA bus in the bilge area and in the console already. Would the one in the bilge already be linked to the engine?  On your boat did the factory already run a cable from the bilge bus up to the console bus? Do you have a cable from that console bus going to your Garmin?

My boat has a Yamaha BUS in the bilge, but all the ports are populated. I have to suspect engine data, power, and then a cable from there to the bus under my console/dash. The BUS under my dash has 1 or 2 open ports (can't remember) that I plan plug into with one end and then the other to my NMEA network. Right now I can display my stereo on my Garmin, which works perfectly. I just have not gotten to the the rest of it. 

Here is what I used, and a couple of basic drop cables to hook my Garmin and JL Audio head unit up. It was as simple as power to positive terminal in my fuse box and ground to ground in my fuse box....the most time consuming part was running up to the store to get a pack of fuses for my fuse box. You'll also need the male and female NMEA terminators for it to work. I shopped online for the best prices for all of my stuff and I suggest you do the same. Some places are A LOT more expensive than others. 

Ancor NMEA power

Ancor 4 Way Tee

• 2 weeks later...

BradM,  I’ve checked this out and it looks like I have same setup from the factory as you did. I have a Yamaha bus bar in the bilge near my PowerPole pump, and another mounted in the console. All the ports on the unit in the bilge are occupied, but it looks like two in the console are available. I don’t know yet if the one in the bilge is connected to my Yamaha, but I don’t know what else it would be doing.  Do you think there’s also a cable running thru a chase to the console to connect with the other bus bar?

i saw the links you provided, but I assume it can’t be as easy as just connecting a. NMEA cable from one of the available Yamaha ports in the console to the NMEA port on the back of my Garmin?

I'm pretty sure it's that easy, Bruce. I just got my rig back from the dealership and need to clean it up (hate that they leave it outside). I'll check later this evening, it if I recall, the Yamaha gauge on your dash is plugged into the Yamaha bus under the console, that tells me data is being sent there from the engine. 

I know how that goes.  My boat is right out back, but getting to it can be a chore since we've had so much ran here. Some days I feel like I need to swim across the moat to get to it. If it works as easy at it seems, I hope you report back. It's on my list, but my wife seems to have a pretty long list for me as well. 

One step forward, and one step back....maybe.  I talked with Emily over at BOE Marine to get the cable I need to run from one of the unused Device ports in my Yamaha multilink hub to my Garmin.  We got that sorted out, but on further reflection overnight, she thought I would still need to add a NMEA network.  My understanding is that the Yamaha multilink setup is a NMEA network, but it's just Yamaha's own design and they use some proprietary plugs.  It's already transmitting data from my engine up to my Command Link gauges. I would think I just need one more cable to transmit the data to my Garmin too.

We decided to stick with the original plan of cable-only, no additional NMEA setup, and just see if it works.  This is all surprisingly complicated for what seems like a pretty simple - and very common - need.  If it turns out that this one cable really does the trick, it sure would be good to have that as an option, or even standard equipment, from the factory.  I would think everyone running a boat with this type of equipment (meaning virtually every MBG boat) would like the added functionality of the engine data ported onto the GPS/etc screen.  MBG could produce that cable as part of the wiring plan for pennies on the dollar and zero additional labor compared to all of us doing it after the fact (and confusing ourselves mightily in the process!).

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for an update too. I would like to run this cable if is just that easy. I really want to see a large water pressure read out.

Bloch776, I do know from past running NEMA cables your combo unit may not support it and just wont work, this happened to me too. I believe most of the stuff I got to work but a few things did not on a 741xs. Fuel burn and fuel level were two. I believe everything else worked. 

It’s really hard to believe how much conflicting info I’ve received on what seems like a pretty straightforward question. I’ve finally decided to install an additional NMEA backbone in the console, connected to the Yamaha multi-hub link on one side and the Garmin on the other. I’m doing that because I’m more confident it will work, and it also gives me flexibility in adding new devices like the VHF I’m outing in at the same time. Possibly a fuel flow meter too. I’m still waiting for the back-ordered radio to come in before it all gets installed. Will report back then. 

Bruce, I just installed a NMEA backbone and it really works great. After being without a NMEA ability on my old engine I'm spoiled that the engine I have now has the NMEA. I have it hooked up to my old out of date 441s which I use for trip info, gph and total fuel burn plus I'll bounce back and forth for engine info. It's also hooked to my Raymarine where I can also see the same engine and fuel info. I went with the Ancor backbone, cables and fittings on eBay and it was a piece of cake to install. Good luck.

On 11/10/2018 at 11:31 PM, Bruce J said:

It’s really hard to believe how much conflicting info I’ve received on what seems like a pretty straightforward question. I’ve finally decided to install an additional NMEA backbone in the console, connected to the Yamaha multi-hub link on one side and the Garmin on the other. I’m doing that because I’m more confident it will work, and it also gives me flexibility in adding new devices like the VHF I’m outing in at the same time. Possibly a fuel flow meter too. I’m still waiting for the back-ordered radio to come in before it all gets installed. Will report back then. 

Keep us posted.

NMEA 2K networking is new to me and I'm just getting started.  I have a Yamaha Command Link hub in my console sending all engine info to the 6YC Information Station on the dash.  I would like to connect the Yamaha hub to a N2K backbone, to display all info on my Lowrance HDS. Does anyone know if the BOE "Yamaha Command Link to NMEA2000 Adapter Cable - W/Existing NMEA2000 Network" for $119.00, connects the N2K network to the 4-pin "Device" port on the Yamaha hub?  If so, it looks like it would do the same thing that the Yamaha "COMMAND LINK PLUS AND COMMAND LINK N2K GATEWAY KIT WITH PIGTAIL WIRE & N2K HARNESS MAR-GTWAY-KT-10", which costs $357.50

Also, are the Device ports on the Yamaha Command Link hub powered?  Should I be concerned about 12v DC voltage coming from the Yamaha hub since the N2K network is already powered?

Thanks

Archived